1970 Mack Clutch Questions

OK, I'm doing more research on the R611 which looks like it will be my project truck. The first order of business will be to replace the throwout bearing, and maybe the clutch. After that, it'll get interesting.

This Dog came from the factory with a Fuller RTF-915. The build sheet shows the clutch as "Spicer 2-plate", and I believe the number is "CL 651" (it's pretty hard to read). The clutch assembly number looks like "11HBA 4131 P2". Do those numbers make sense to anybody?

The Mack dealer near here said the throwout bearing can not be bought separately. It only comes with the clutch.

If anybody knows anything about this clutch design, I would appreciate hearing about it. Also, if anybody has parts, or knows of parts, for that clutch, please let me know.

Thanks,

Kent

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

If yer gonna replace the throwout bearing, you may as well replace the clutch or have it rebuilt since you are pulling it anyways. I know it is a little far from you, but there is a fantastic clutch place in Baltimore that rebuilt the Lipe-Brown clutch on my 1958 FWD......It was only $400 bucks and they did a top-notch job, and the guys there are top shelf people too. I couldnt recommend them any more, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the place. IIRC someone on here pointed them out to me.....Does anyone else on here know of whom I speak of????

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Hi Kent,

I just had my clutch disc and pressure plate rebuilt. Also the flywheel cleaned and turned. The throwout bearing is new and pilot bearing for the flywheel is also new. These items were done at a local Clutch and Brake Shop in my area. You may have one somewhere near you, or a business that can tell you that works on Diesel Trucks. I found out my information from a FleetPro, PAI Distributor. Also a FleetPride can help you locate a clutch shop. Sometimes a NAPA Truck Parts place can be of help.

It sure beats going to the Mack Dealer for anything!!!!!!

mike

Agreed, whenever you take a clutch out for a throw out bearing ALWAYS replace the clutch linings and pressure plate. As my friend always used to say "if you don't plan to do it right, plan to do it AGAIN" This rings especially true when going through the labor of separating a engine and transmission. Most any local engine machine shop in your area can steer you in the right direction for your application. Shop around and get a few different options before committing to anything.

Edited by burnstransport

Yep. I agree. When it comes out, it'll all get some love before it goes back in! I have a few powertrain-type guys in my area, and have already spoken to a couple of them. Biggest problem, so far, is that I don't have the truck home yet! Looks like I'll need to pull it out and take it to them to properly identify it. So, far, none of the Mack build sheet info means anything to these guys. But, they all feel they can help, once they see the actual parts.

More to come...

Kent

Yep. I agree. When it comes out, it'll all get some love before it goes back in! I have a few powertrain-type guys in my area, and have already spoken to a couple of them. Biggest problem, so far, is that I don't have the truck home yet! Looks like I'll need to pull it out and take it to them to properly identify it. So, far, none of the Mack build sheet info means anything to these guys. But, they all feel they can help, once they see the actual parts.

More to come...

Kent

Kent, earlier you identified the clutch make/model. When I called the guys in Baltimore, they knew right away what I was talking about. They specialize in older clutches, but then again double plate spicers are pretty common, so anyone should be able to do it.....They fully rebuilt my single plate 15" Lipe-Brown clutch- new pads, rebuilt the complete assembly, and even spun-balanced it all. Now if I can just remember who the heck the place is.....I have it written down somewhere.....somewhere......lol

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Kent, earlier you identified the clutch make/model. When I called the guys in Baltimore, they knew right away what I was talking about. They specialize in older clutches, but then again double plate spicers are pretty common, so anyone should be able to do it.....They fully rebuilt my single plate 15" Lipe-Brown clutch- new pads, rebuilt the complete assembly, and even spun-balanced it all. Now if I can just remember who the heck the place is.....I have it written down somewhere.....somewhere......lol

Thanks for that response. Good to hear that those numbers actually mena something to somebody!

Once I get this thing home (assuming the deal goes through), I'll be in a better spot to work on it. I'll probably be back in here to talk about it some more then.

Hey, maybe then I can post a picture of it in my profile.

Kent