adjusting valves on 676

the balancer shows 1 and 6 together , then 3 and 4 and so on. do you set all 4 valves say on 1 and 6 together. it seems to me each cylinder would need to be on tdc on the firing stroke. you guys have really helped me put on this in the past and i sure do thank you. i advertised looking for a shop manual but had no luck.

the balancer shows 1 and 6 together , then 3 and 4 and so on. do you set all 4 valves say on 1 and 6 together. it seems to me each cylinder would need to be on tdc on the firing stroke. you guys have really helped me put on this in the past and i sure do thank you. i advertised looking for a shop manual but had no luck.

Have you tried www.AUTOLIT.com ? 1970 thru 1979 Item # 119092 Manual from 1967 - 1972 for MACK Highway Vehicles covers F,Mb, R, and U models. $100.00.

I don't have assess of a manual at this time but can look up tonight when at home. Hopefully someone will beat me to it and be more prompt.

Regards

mike

They have to be adjusted individually in firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4.

Bar engine over in normal rotation- clockwise looking from front of engine.

When #1 is coming up on compression stroke stop at #1- #6 top dead center mark on dampener and set valves for #1 cylinder intake .016" exhaust .024"

After done with #1 bar engine clockwise to next mark which will be #2 -#5 (120 degrees from #1- #6 mark) and set valves for #5, then just keep on going through firing order1-5-3-6-2-4.

If you're having trouble trying to figure out when #1 is on compression stroke watch the valve movement.

When barring over engine watch the intake pushrod and rocker movement(the valve toward the rear of the cylinder) you will see it open and then close- right after you see it close bar engine up to the #1 T.D.C. mark and set valves for #1 and go from there.

Hope this helps,

Ron

ah yes, i should have figured that out, really no different than my small block chevy. for some reason my mind stumbles on that big diesel. i got them all adjusted and i noticed a lot of rocker arm slack on part of the stroke but when it came back around to the pointer everything checked out fine. i wonder why?

He beat me to it, he's right it's because it has a dynatard camshaft in it. With flat spots on the opposite sides of the exhaust lobes.

They used these cams whether they had the dynatard engine brake or not. Looks really weird though when you see that much slop in the exhaust valve rockers doesn't it?

Ron

Edited by 39 Baby Mack