Workin the 361

bullhusk

I bet im one of the few young guys that know what a Brockway is!!! :SMOKIE-LFT:

Thats right Vinny! And you speaka da English ! It is nice to see a young guy like you, that knows your trucks, there are a lot of guys on the site (including me) that were like you at your age, and thats a good thing!!!

BULLHUSK

• Like 2

Thats right Vinny! And you speaka da English ! It is nice to see a young guy like you, that knows your trucks, there are a lot of guys on the site (including me) that were like you at your age, and thats a good thing!!!

BULLHUSK

I was one of those kids, but I also thought the name was "Brock-a-way" back then. :idunno:

Jim

Mark,

It takes gittin used to, after steppin out of a 515 Detroit an into the old Huskie with a Super 250 Cummins! I put a crowned load of top-soil on yesterday (about 15yds) and she was OK with it untill I got to the 6% hill by my house, and thats when I had to put the 5X4 Spicer Air-o-matic to work!! I'll tell you what, it sure brings back the old Colonial S&S days LOL.. I just rebuilt the motor in her about 9 months ago, finding parts for that motor was not an easy deal! It seems that they only made that motor for a couple of years back in the late 60's an early 70's-- longer stroke 927 ci motor!! Now get this, the truck sat in a garage in Beacon NY, it had just over 100,000 mi when i bought it and every thing worked and was original...But it had the old anti-freez in the block and as soon as I started to use the truck I started to get water in the oil, liner cavation common esp. on a Cummins so I pulled it down and did an in frame and so far so good!.... Now they tell me that the motor came in two hp's a 250 and a 270, both natural asp. I have the 250 but would like to get a turbo setup from a 290 and put it on my motor, i have been told that it is possible but that i would have to keep a close eye on the pyro and water temp. cause I would not have the oil cooled pistons like most turbo motors today have. Now on the other hand I spoke to a guy who has a 71 White with the same Super 250 and had the pump set up for the 270 hp and said it made a big diff. in power. The truck is geared for 62mph flat out to the floor board, and thats gust fine with me! But it is nice to take the old ones out and work them, esp. when the young guys come up to you an ask ' What the hell is a Brock-a-way?' !!!!!!!!!!! Hope all is well!

Ernie DS

Good to hear Ernie! i had to laugh at the "Brock-a-way" the younger guys dont know what all they missed! try and explain the operation of a 5X4 Holy hell! its like speaking chinese! now i learned something i did'nt know,i always thought a Super 250 Cummins WAS a turbocharged engine.NO turbo.NO A/C,NO power steering,NO anything! i really enjoy seeing an "Old Dog' working,no matter what the make& model..........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Beautiful Brockway! My grandfather had a gravel pit in Whitesboro, NY with a 1954 International tandem dump with a gas engine and 5x4 and a Brockway 158 tandem dump truck with a Cummins engine and a 5x3. I spent every chance I could with him at the gravel pit and learned to drive in the Brockway when I was about 10. The Truck was red and he put "Big Jim" on the grill plate - I was the proudest kid in town. He died in 1970 when I was 12 and we sold the gravel pit, the loader and all the trucks and equipment. Great memories.

Going to try to get up for the Brockway show in Cortland this year. Love those Brockways!

Mowerman if you plan on going to Brockway Show in Cortland any year is good but 2012 is the 100 year Anniversary of Brockway Trucks it should be the Bonanza.Joe D.

ahrite man,,,appreciate the heads up,,,ill kick it around,,see if i can make it...bob :twothumbsup: