1941 Mack EE Brake System

tymack

I recently bought a '41 Mack EE. The previous owner put a 300 ford motor in the truck. The vacuum line to the manifold was disconnected when they replaced the motor and was not hooked back up. I don't know if the vacuum pump needs anything (new diaphragms, etc.), but would like to know if and where I could take it to get rebuilt. If its not worth rebuilding, is there a system comparable that I could replace it with?

post-11700-0-42590800-1337949855_thumb.j

I recently bought a '41 Mack EE. The previous owner put a 300 ford motor in the truck. The vacuum line to the manifold was disconnected when they replaced the motor and was not hooked back up. I don't know if the vacuum pump needs anything (new diaphragms, etc.), but would like to know if and where I could take it to get rebuilt. If its not worth rebuilding, is there a system comparable that I could replace it with?

Hi there and nice truck to start with. That truck having a hydraulic brake system would probably be better served with a newer hydrovac system. Parts can be difficult on the older ones. These can be acquired at most any heavy truck parts vendor. You can get single, or dual circuit types but currently you have a single if original. If you stay original not many parts will need changed. Going to a dual type circuit will give you braking power should you lose a front or rear system. With a single, a leak or blown hose anyplace in the system yields no braking power.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Tymack, that's a really nice EE. It never ceases to amaze me how good original-looking trucks like that continue to survive. Is she an older restoration or was she retired and well stored?

Would you like to list her on the E-model registry? http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/1675-calling-all-mack-e-model-owners/

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

Nice truck. You can send your hydrovac to White Post Restoration in Virginia. Mine cost $500 about 4 years ago. I thought that was a little steep but the brakes work great. I had everything redone: master cyl, wheel cyl and hydrovac. Probably $1800 total. I didn't do the hydrovac on my L model and those.brakes don't work as well. I should have it done but I have been too cheap.

Mike

Hi Tymack, that's a really nice EE. It never ceases to amaze me how good original-looking trucks like that continue to survive. Is she an older restoration or was she retired and well stored?

Would you like to list her on the E-model registry? http://www.bigmacktr...e-model-owners/

Thanks Andy in West Oz, I am really blessed to have found such a clean truck. Only 20 miles from the house! It has never been restored( a little primer over the bare paint) just stored well for a while. It has 58,000 miles on it. and most of those were off road hauling trees at a nursery, before that it was a fire truck. The previous owner added a dump bed. I plan on getting it running and maybe down the road paining it. I think it looks good in its work clothes. I will register it.

Nice truck. You can send your hydrovac to White Post Restoration in Virginia. Mine cost $500 about 4 years ago. I thought that was a little steep but the brakes work great. I had everything redone: master cyl, wheel cyl and hydrovac. Probably $1800 total. I didn't do the hydrovac on my L model and those.brakes don't work as well. I should have it done but I have been too cheap.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I will look into it.

Truly superb, tymack. Just amazing. Her VIN should be on a tag on the passenger's seat. If she's missing that (doubt it going by the rest of her!) it should be stamped into the right-hand chassis rail behind the rear spring hanger (or in that general area).

I get excited by a lot of trucks but this one truly warms my heart. Magic stuff. She does look good in her working clothes.

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries