Newbiee need advice on RD690 (stiff) steering wheel problem

adewale

Hi All,

I have a '97 RD690 that has been giving me problem lately. The steering wheel is always stiff when making turns. We recently discovered that fluid might be leaking and this was rectified. Problem did not go away and we changed the power steering pump two days ago. But problem surfaced again earlier today. Any useful advice on this will be appreciated.

Hi All,

I have a '97 RD690 that has been giving me problem lately. The steering wheel is always stiff when making turns. We recently discovered that fluid might be leaking and this was rectified. Problem did not go away and we changed the power steering pump two days ago. But problem surfaced again earlier today. Any useful advice on this will be appreciated.

There is a tapered roller bearing at the base of the steering column just above your knees when sitting in the seat. Ensure that is good. There is also a universal joint near the same area and need to make certain that is not binding, or tight. If hydraulic related, one would need to "Tee" into the system to check for system pressure(s).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If it is what I think it is, sometimes you can lubricate the bearing and get by. Dirt gets into every means of joints and causes all kinds of delimas. Try lubrication sometimes it will wash away the dirt and lub the area at the same time.

This has had good results.

mike

@ Rob

I am actually thousands of kilometers away from the location of the truck (sorry if i sounded am right by the truck). So I have to relay this to the individual responsible for operating the truck with the mechanic and they have to get back to me by text messages.

This is the steps taken so far (prior to relaying your message to them). Four (used) steering pump have been tried. Initially the pressure rose and higher than when the when the old steering pump was in place. But this did not help. Was told the mechanic now observed that the steering box is faulty (not sure how) and that it is hot. He now thought this steering box could be the problem. Anyway I have relayed the previous recommendation to them. Will wait to see if their response will to your suggestion.

Learn that driver was still able to drive with the stiff steering wheel but it get difficult when he`s making a turn. Moreso, the ``poor`` guy has a bad arm. Got hurt in a previous truck related accident and he is extremely cautious about a potential accident happening due to this new problem.

I

@ Rob

I am actually thousands of kilometers away from the location of the truck (sorry if i sounded am right by the truck). So I have to relay this to the individual responsible for operating the truck with the mechanic and they have to get back to me by text messages.

This is the steps taken so far (prior to relaying your message to them). Four (used) steering pump have been tried. Initially the pressure rose and higher than when the when the old steering pump was in place. But this did not help. Was told the mechanic now observed that the steering box is faulty (not sure how) and that it is hot. He now thought this steering box could be the problem. Anyway I have relayed the previous recommendation to them. Will wait to see if their response will to your suggestion.

It is quite possible the sealing "O" rings internal to the steering gear are defective and passing fluid around them. This would be a cause for "stiff" steering but only a steering gear rebuild will correct this. Also the only real way to diagnose this is to interconnect hydraulic pressure gauges in the system to ensure the system is maintaining internal pressure. With worn out sealing rings on the power piston, and control valving, or relief valves not closing, internal hydraulic pressure is reduced and steering effort to turn the wheels in increased.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.