old star cold start

Hi , I bought a truck that's been sitting for 10+ years I got fresh fuel in the truck it cranks but won't start theresthin white smoke coming out and a puff of black now and then any tips on what I'm missing its a 63

b81 I was told it has a 711 and it dose have a turbo how do I confirm its a 711 and dose anyone have part numbers for a oil filter and fuel filter it has a luberfiner.

Rudy

Rudy,

First, my guess is that the fuel system might need "bled out", try cracking an injector line to see if you're getting fuel or air, if it's not getting fuel, you need to keep cranking until you do. Then repeat that process on one or two more. I don't know if your truck has a primer pump or not, but if it does, use the primer pump to make sure you're getting fuel to the injector pump.

To confirm if it is a 711 or not, look at the front timing cover, RH side. You can look in under the fender between the front tire and the frame rail, you will see the END711 stamped in the timing cover.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Hi, Dave do you mean one of the lines off the injector pump to the injector or the soft line from the primer pump I took the line off going into the injector pump and there was air and old fuel we cranked untill fresh fuel was coming out that's when we got black smoke out the stack it sounded like it wanted to fire but it dident.

try to crack open the lines from injection pump to injector right at the injector. Crank till you see fuel come out as it cranks. close one at a time as you see fuel, hopefully they come loose for ya and dont want to twist off. then hopefully it will run for you good luck! Steve

Hi, Dave do you mean one of the lines off the injector pump to the injector or the soft line from the primer pump I took the line off going into the injector pump and there was air and old fuel we cranked untill fresh fuel was coming out that's when we got black smoke out the stack it sounded like it wanted to fire but it dident.

Dave has put you on the right track. Loosen the steel fuel lines on the injection nozzles themselves unil fresh fuel flows from the loosened connections when cranking the engine. Then tighten and the truck should start. If it doesn't start there may be a stuck rack inside the injection pump not allowing the engine enough fuel to start. Citing you were starting to get black smoke indicates she is starting to get fuel.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.