Question On My B 61

Is there a hole in the flywheel housing to manually turn over these motors like an E7? I havent had a chance to get underneath and check so i figured id ask on here. Its got a 711. With the E7 we have a gear that meshes with the flywheel to turn it over.

Seems there isn't.........if I recall. Maybe I haven't looked in the right place. There is an inspection hole, but I don't think there is room for anything in there to turn flywheel.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The older bellhousings usually had a small hole near the bottom where you could stick a large screwdriver into the teeth on the flywheel and by prying on the flywheel teeth you could turn the flywheel one tooth at a time.

The E7's don't have this, and with those I put a socket and breaker bar on the harmonic balancer retaining bolt at the front of the crank and turn it that way.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I just got it goin so its no big deal. I thought maybe it got some water in the cylendars because she wasnt crankin but i turned it over with a pry bar and then it fired right up. Must be a dead spot or somethin on the flywheel. The E7s have a hole in the flywheel housing that you put a gear in to crank em over. Works a lot easier because you get the gear reduction to turn it over.

another way to turn any engine is to jack up one wheel and put trans in hi gear and bumb the wheel over by hand with a bumbing motion and if it is hard to turn you may need some one to watch the what ever.I have did it for years even runing over head you turn a litte and walk up and look and turn some moore till you got it and that way you dont have to weight on some one to come over and help. glenn

glenn akers