1997 CH613 Front end shakes when you hit the brakes. Help?

rxhawg

We have a '97 CH613 (pulling end dump) that shakes like crazy when you hit the brakes. Things we have tried: new steer tires (balanced), new brake shoes and drums, front end alignment, new gear box on steering colunm. There may be a thing or two more that we have tried but that is all I can remember off the top of my head. Nothing has fixed the problem. We are going to replace the shocks tomorrow but I don't hold out much hope of that being the cure. Do any of you mechanically minded folks have any suggestions as to what we should look at next? My mechanic and mechanically minded brother and dad are all stumped. (I don't know enough about the mechanics to be stumped :blush: !!)

Thanks.

We have a '97 CH613 (pulling end dump) that shakes like crazy when you hit the brakes. Things we have tried: new steer tires (balanced), new brake shoes and drums, front end alignment, new gear box on steering colunm. There may be a thing or two more that we have tried but that is all I can remember off the top of my head. Nothing has fixed the problem. We are going to replace the shocks tomorrow but I don't hold out much hope of that being the cure. Do any of you mechanically minded folks have any suggestions as to what we should look at next? My mechanic and mechanically minded brother and dad are all stumped. (I don't know enough about the mechanics to be stumped :blush: !!)

Thanks.

Does this happen with a light application of brakes when the truck is empty, or just a hard application when the truck is loaded? How about bobtail, and with empty trailer as opposed to loaded? If the vibration is unusually strong with a heavy brake application it could be the front wheel bearings are fretting, or brinnelling along with the races. Either case they need replaced. A magnifying glass and a strong light will give a good indication of wear. Things like color differentiation, chipping of the roller edges, or slight pinholes are dead giveaways to failure. Look closely at the spindle also for evidence a bearing has spun on the bearing surface. Seen this a few times.

If the truck has many miles you can't go wrong replacing the bearings anyway.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

This is a 97 so it will be hub pilot. I have seen some hubs that has had the wheels run loose and the pilot is not all there. This can let the brake drum and wheel be off center.If so you can get a centering tool for the studs when you tight the nutsthe wheel and drum will be centered.Look at hat some more.I have seen it a few times and in most cases some one wants to sell you a hub but not need always.

glenn akers

• 1 month later...

by alignment has truck had a tandem alignment or just toe set? also steer shaft u joints , have you checked for equal brake stroke with a tape measurement on steers , also what about on the hubs where the drum rides is there a bunch of alumin oxidation on hubs , what about anchor pins/ roller bushings/scam bushings in brakes , those three things get overlooked quite often people just keep replacing just the shoes and drums ,