Possibly Puttin' My B Model To Work

HeavyGunner

Hey guys, I was sittin' up here in the cold and got to thinking about puttin' my B model to work next summer if things work out. I do have a few questions that arose as I was cipherin' and computin' . 1) My truck is a B753LS so being that it was originally a straight truck will that effect any thing if I decided to put a 5th wheel on it and and pull a trailer? (it already has a johnson bar and glad hands on it and a 5th wheel set on the frame not bolted on yet) 2) How (if treated right) well will my ole girl hold up to regular use again pulling gravel trailers? I know that sounds kinda stupid but I dont want to destroy this truck I just want to pick up 2-3 days a week hauling gravel. 3) How can I tell what rears (how heavy) are under my rig? I am hoping to get to work on my truck some more in February and hopefully have it finished so I can bring it home. Thanks guys.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Hey guys, I was sittin' up here in the cold and got to thinking about puttin' my B model to work next summer if things work out. I do have a few questions that arose as I was cipherin' and computin' . 1) My truck is a B753LS so being that it was originally a straight truck will that effect any thing if I decided to put a 5th wheel on it and and pull a trailer? (it already has a johnson bar and glad hands on it and a 5th wheel set on the frame not bolted on yet) 2) How (if treated right) well will my ole girl hold up to regular use again pulling gravel trailers? I know that sounds kinda stupid but I dont want to destroy this truck I just want to pick up 2-3 days a week hauling gravel. 3) How can I tell what rears (how heavy) are under my rig? I am hoping to get to work on my truck some more in February and hopefully have it finished so I can bring it home. Thanks guys.

The first words of caution I would give is to not put the cart before the horse. This truck has been setting for quite a spell and there are several things to be considered/evaluated prior to jumping in with something that is for the most part obsolete as far as parts. Breakdowns are very expensive and you don't just call your buddy with a pickup truck and a chain to pull you home. Heavy wrecker calls are not cheap because you can't readily get parts alongside the roadway. Other than that, the truck was built for work and it should perform that service admirably for year yet to come. Be easy on the throttle and run around a little while empty to both familiarize yourself with the trucks' "personality" and refamiliarize it to working once again.

If you have gladhands installed already, that means you already have a tractor protection valve installed, and the associated valving to make it work. This, and having a fifth wheel ready to install is really all you need to make the truck a tractor unit. Bolt, or weld the fifth wheel into position about four inches forward of the trunion centerline, (if tandem) or the same distance from axle centerline, (if single drive) and you will be good for use. If you have a slider fifth wheel, you would need to research online for proper placement as I've never worked with mounting one of those in a new install. As long as you have adequate swing clearance to clear the neck of a trailer when you turn, all should be set.

With the exception of the trolley valve, tractor protection valve, and hoses/plumbing there isn't much different between a truck built as a straight truck, (as yours) or a tractor. I have a couple B61S, and B62S series truck that have tractor protection valves on them also like yours.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Get familiar with your weight laws. Also keep this in mind if your truck is short you may need a longer trailer for bridge laws. ergo if your only 190" wb you may need a 38' dump. to get the required length or more axles and then your heavier. don't just assume you can gross 80k on 5 axles. then again your in Mt and you guys gross out around 100k anyway

Will Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel have a negative effect on my truck? I run Power Service or Lucas additives in my work trucks but they are much newer. Thanks for the advice Rob, this is something I am definitely going to have to take my time on. I was just thinking (daydreaming) about other uses for my Mack other than pulling the ole Propane Palace (the wife no longer cares for tenting during hunting excursions).

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.