12/24 volt starter question

I have a '62 B model, I know the starter is 24 volt and I know about the series/parallel switch. Question is, does anyone know of a 12 volt starter that will fit my truck? I would like to run the whole truck 12 volt neg. ground and do away with the series/parallel switch.

I have a '62 B model, I know the starter is 24 volt and I know about the series/parallel switch. Question is, does anyone know of a 12 volt starter that will fit my truck? I would like to run the whole truck 12 volt neg. ground and do away with the series/parallel switch.

42MT series Delco. You will need an 11 tooth clockwise rotation.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

42MT series Delco. You will need an 11 tooth clockwise rotation.

Rob

Rob is the 42MT the big starter if it is it will be up against the oil pan,i had one on my B for a while. i went with one of those japan ( i think nippin-denso) fit fine. he could go with the little delco starter but it will cost more. Ron

Rob is the 42MT the big starter if it is it will be up against the oil pan,i had one on my B for a while. i went with one of those japan ( i think nippin-denso) fit fine. he could go with the little delco starter but it will cost more. Ron

A 42MT is the same diameter as the original 24V starter motor. A 42MT has a mounted solenoid on it and the head is indexible meaning you can put it where you want for clearance. I have two B models with this starter installed. Just be certain to run 3/0 or larger battery cables to the starter from the batteries.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

When I changed my starting system to 12 volt negative ground I used a 39 series starter. This was suggested by local Mack dealer since it was less in weight and cost, they were on sale at the time. It too is a starter solenoid combination and position can be rotated to fit better.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

Make certain to keep a close eye on battery cables and corrosion with that starter Denny. Inrush current from low voltage resulting from corrosion will fry those smaller permanent magnet starters quickly. Don't let them crank and crank like with it's bigger counterpart. If you keep the truck plugged in when cold, or only operate about 40 degrees you'll not have any problems. A 45 second crank interval with those on an old engine equals short life for the starter motor.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I do keep it plugged in in cold weather. Sounds like I was given some erroneous info.

Hi Denny, I wouldn't really say that. It is just there is a lot more rotating mass to get rolling and keep it going with the older engines. The newer permanent magnet starters do work very well but the heat absorbtion due to lack of physical "bulk" shows up earlier in these. Keeping the truck warm before attempting to start you will probably never see a problem.

Rob