866 go bang

ducky698

Hi, well 16500kms and all over. bang. it spun number 4 main bearing. have sourced new ones, my question now is do I pull it out and fully rebuild it, or should i just roll in new bearings. it went bang because it did have oil pressure problems, under 10lbs when idling hot and only 30lbs when running. so i know why it went bang. I dropped the trailers on the side of the road and even crawled it 40miles home. bet a cat or any any other engine wouldnt have done that.

so whats peoples thoughts? do these have any other issues when this happens?

an Rob, sump gaskets are available at the moment. 36 bucks each.

Grant

Hi, its not bad, no score marks or anything.

Grant

If were me I would do the rods and main bearings and maybe a new oil pump,thats if I thought the top of the motor was good,not using oil and having decent compression,good luck..

Hi Grant, I would pull it out, and make damned certain the main bearing bores are good in the block. Most times when a main bearing spins in the bore it distorts the alignment. This can be repaired without the engine being torn completely down and apart but plenty of rags need to be shoved into the block to keep shavings contained. The other problem that you may experience with align boring that engine is getter oversized bore bearings. Standard ones are hard enough to come by unless specialty bearings are manufactured. This can get expensive.

Keep me posted on your progress. You have too much time/money/effort involved with this engine to "wash it out" at this point. Need to work closely with a machine shop for cost evaluation for repairs before commiting to anything.

Sorry to learn of the trouble.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi, I can get stds, 10 or 20 thou under. piston rings, full gasket sets. and i can even get a differant grind on a cam shaft for more power. the thing is how far do i go? how much hp can i make out of it? is it going to hold together? down here trucks are pulling 3 trailers so the more torque the things got the better it is but how much am i going to extract out of an engine that only made 375hp and 1100lbs from the factory?

what else can i put in there? or what did these make as a marine engine and what did they do to them?

Grant

Hi, I can get stds, 10 or 20 thou under. piston rings, full gasket sets. and i can even get a differant grind on a cam shaft for more power. the thing is how far do i go? how much hp can i make out of it? is it going to hold together? down here trucks are pulling 3 trailers so the more torque the things got the better it is but how much am i going to extract out of an engine that only made 375hp and 1100lbs from the factory?

what else can i put in there? or what did these make as a marine engine and what did they do to them?

Grant

Obtaining undersized bearings for a regrind is not that difficult I'll admit. What is difficult is obtaining bearings that are actually thicker in the back shells to fit the oversize bores after align honing the block. In the USA this is a bit difficult at best.

I prolly wouldn't make any more power with that engine over the factory settings. The lower ends did not like to be "hopped up" much and asking for 1500ft. pounds from it is a bit much and durability will suffer; probably quickly. This is just my opinion.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi, i found a broken spring in the oil pump, thats where the oil pressure went. pulled another main cap off today. this one is alot bigger than the 4th one back, so would say the poor crank has been thrashing around for a while, block needs line bore. so best I pull it out and all over.

Grant

I know of 2 mid 70s RL700L that had the big bad V8 with 6 speeds, sister trucks. both needed rods and mains every 150K. it was a known issue with them. think they were sold at the 300K mark and were on there 2nd set of crank bearings. Just my opinion here but....the stock engine is fine for what it is but if you want more power and still be safe source a E9 and you will be better off.... you will likelybe able to rebuild the E9 cheeper and have more power than the older V8. If price is the issue dont over look the E7 mechinicals. you will louse the V8 bragging rights but its a strong puller and has the torque you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont bump up the horsepower any more, if youre already experiencing bottom end trouble then more horsepower is not the solution. Its already been mentioned bbut the oversized outer diameter shells are the answer, if you can get them. I know the E9 shells ones are still available but the 866 might be pushing the friendship. Good luck mate, I will se what Ican find out for ya. Skip

Hi, funny enuf you should mention antifreeze, the water pump was broken when i got it and the oil was grey.

Skip, I have found new big ends and mains, new rings and a complete gasket set, all non gen and here in Australia

bearings...under 600 for full set. still available genuine to but alot more expensive.

rings.........1200.00 4 differant types need these ones out firstly.

gaskets......500.00

Crane will do a new cam shaft for it.

cylinder head rebuild and bigger exhaust valves and K liners not a problem.

can get the block back filled and line bored no problem. the thing is it will all ways be down on power so am looking for an E9.

Grant

Good work on finding that stuff mate. The critical part is making sure your main caps are tight in the block. If you have a good machine shop nearby then Im pretty sure they would be able to build up the tunnel and line bore it to suit new bearings. The caps should be tight in the block. When you undid the bolts did the cap fall out or did you have to wriggle it out? One other thing to take note of is your conrods. If you pull the engine right down and you have the conrods out, make sure you get them crack tested and properly closed and honed. I almost had a disaster with my END864 when it was going together. Id had new gudgeon bushes pressed into the rods and supposedly crack tested but on closer inspection, 2 of the rods had hairline cracks the whole way through where the cap bolts on, and on 2 of the little ends you could see daylight between the bush and eye of the conrod, so obviously it had had a little end failure at one point and it had damaged the eye. Lucky we found that before it went together.

Theres lots of things to keep an eye out for. Id really like to see you keep the 866 in there but dragging a couple of trailers around is not exactly nursing it.If you're after power then an E9 is the way to go. If youre going to keep the 866 going then dont cut corners with it. It wont be cheap to do it right up but its the only way you will know that it will be a good thing.

Also, there were 2 different types of oil pumps to my knowledge. The 865s and early 866s used a smaller pump, but it was updated to a higher capacity pump in later engines. I think they have the same mounting points and piping.

Keep me updated on your progress mate. All the best for Christmas and the new year.

Cheers, Skip

Hi Skip, About the main caps, don't forget the 865,6 had buttress bolts on them to hold them tight, (four bolt mains) I don't think I would try to build up the bores better to go oversize also they have to be properly installed and torqued (in sequence) and also they used tapered con rod bushings that had to be burnished before they were machined to fit the pin