E9 Fuel Mileage?

LOL Well first of all is the such a thing as good fuel mileage out of an E9? If so be honest and let me know...

I guess it all comes down to how hard u drive. So i will cut to the chase, Ive got a toss up between an 86 350 12 spd. Or an 88 E9 10 spd. with 3:87. The E9 has brand new heads and is an all original 1 owner truck.

AND.... the E9 is cheaper to buy, Is 5 mpg to much to ask for out of this thing for local rock hauling? Am I just dreaming here? ~Joe

• 2 weeks later...

hey hows it going? i run my v8 every week i have an average of 6.4 last quater, i just pulled a 38000 lbs excavator from charleston wv. to myerstwon pa. across 68 in maryland and averaged 6.0. empty im at 8.1 and 8.2. in a superliner 18spd 3.65 rears when heavy i run in 17th at 1500rpm thats 60mph, when lighter 18th at 1500rpm thats 70mph. my e9 was setup by antrum diesel its 875hp, mpg is all in how it driven. hope it helps

I agree with Mack mhe9. The worst my E9 has ever averaged per quarter is 5.4 and the best is 6.2. My 1990 superliner has a 2180 tranny and 3:87 rears. It was set up by Steve Trevitz and Antrim, don't know the hp's but it does a great job. Daddy always said "If you gotta big horse you gotta feed it", but remember, a big horse don't have to work as hard a little horse.

I agree with Mack mhe9. The worst my E9 has ever averaged per quarter is 5.4 and the best is 6.2. My 1990 superliner has a 2180 tranny and 3:87 rears. It was set up by Steve Trevitz and Antrim, don't know the hp's but it does a great job. Daddy always said "If you gotta big horse you gotta feed it", but remember, a big horse don't have to work as hard a little horse.
Agree with that and a big horse don't have to work hard all it's life neither. A guy with a big horse and a light foot will get better mileage than a guy with a smaller steed and heavy foot.

A lot depends on how fast one needs to get where they are going.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

what he said, i can get into the 4's in a hart beat if i abuse it. i just let the engine do its thing which is more then most working hard. you asked about exhaust i have pittsburg power mufflers on now, i used to have 6 inch straights on my mh and i love it but that was15 years ago.

How do you like those mufflers? I'm running 6" straights right now but since I put ceramic coated pistons in it is really loud. I'm shopping for mufflers and heat shields right now.

I got the pit muffler under mine and it has quieted this down tremedously and not hurt the power. next thing I am going to do is when the muffler rots is put the original 5" back on and get the super quiets from pit and put the mufflers back on the side with the grab handles. It has quieted sown but to the point now I do not want to hear this at all