866 oil pressure

ducky698

Hi, the 866 I have seems to be running well, its done 12000kms in 4 weeks. the oil pressure is scary tho, 30lbs then when hot it drops to 5lbs at idle. is this normal? if not how do i fix?

its pulling a B double thats 62,000 kilo,s

Grant

hmmm. thats pretty low IMO... I get scared below 20-25psi hot idle. It can be a few things. not specific to your engine but what I have seen ...

stuck press relief spring

bad oil pump

broken piston cooling jets

clogged oil pump intake

low oil

oil pickup tube leaking (no suction.)

thats a start but 5psi hot would scare me!

Hi, thanks for the replies. no internal work done. i have had 2 heads off an fuel pump was changed, but it was this low prior to that. am not sure I even have correct oil in it. 15/40?? I am now using 20/60 diesel oil and its no better. took the heat exchanger off yesterday and stripped and rebuilt it, it was 30% blocked, still no good.

Grant

Hi did the master gauge today, still low. took sump off and found destroyed relief spring at back of pump. could not get another one. went to a spring works shop who are making another one to specs. so in the meantime I have got a suitable repair, the oil pressure may be a little high with 20-60 tho. Its now over 140 when revving till it warms up then drops to 90 and has 34 at idle.

what oil specs do you use over there for these engines?

Grant

Be careful Grant, that much pressure will destroy gaskets and seals quickly.

Rob

I use 15W40 Delo in my V8 engines without problems.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi, 15/40 it is then.thank you. I put the thicker oil in it to begin with due to the low oil pressure. now I gotta get the bugger down :).

does anyone have a pressure relief valve off one of these? the one thats half way down the block, I need to know what diam the spring is, what the thickness of coils are. as I am getting 2 new springs made up, one for the pump and one for this valve.

Grant

Hi I posted a question about having to much oilpressure in my 673 engine on oct 2 and rhasler posted a copy of a manual with spring information and numbers I was able to order the rite one from a dealer and now run 60 at cold idle instead of 150 The information is still there and may help

Dean

i know you did, so did pags, but the book says different. i chose the 20/60 to help its oil problems, then when i went north i knew then it had a serious problem cause it dropped to 2 pounds, got back here and pulled it to bits. oil pressure good now. what were you doing near pags any way? not in Albany any more?

Grant