Truck Inspections

Hey y'all:

I might have asked y'all this before, don't remember. What do y'all do for your truck inspections and what are you paying. I have had to tag my truck (and pay for) a commercial 48,000 lb tag. So the tag and insurance wise, I could haul for money. Any info on your inspection routine would be much appreciated. Even better if in the great state of Mississippi.

Thanks and take care,

George

FOR A TRUCK WITH COMMERCIAL OR ANTIQUE PLATES I PAY $40 FOR TRACTOR INSPECTION

iF THE TRUCKS NOT FOR HIRE GET ANTIGUE PLATES AND INSURACE(SAVE YOURSELF $10K

Thanks for the reply. Who inspects it for you? Before I bought the truck, I called the tag office and asked them how much a tag would be for a 63' Mack road tractor, they asked again what year, 63' Oh yeah, it will be $26.00 antique truck tag. I asked them if they were sure and said again it was a tractor. Yep, $26.00. I tag the truck and they hit me with a tag for $500.00 per year that never goes down. I told them that I do not and will not use the truck commercially. Said it goes by GVWR on commercial type vehicles and it would be $500 bucks. Pi$$ed me off good.

Is your state involved in the CVSA Inspection program? If so, go over the truck yourself to make sure you have no safety violations, then arrange for a state officer to inspect the truck. They will put a CVSA sticker in the windshield that is good for 90 days. The inspection receipt will stand for your annual inspection. Just be sure you keep it in the truck, in case of a roadside inspection. Ask around and try to find an officer in your community. They have to inspect trucks anyway, and would probably rather do it in relaxed manner. I have 2 officers in my community, and have made it a point to be friendly with both. It makes the day go by better, when you know someone is not going to mess with you just cause he can.

I dont know the Mississipi state laws so cant comment on the inspection price in your state.

I drive my commercial plated mack down to the inspection station near me, pull into the bay and I wait in the cab. they check brake adjustment, tire tread, lights, steering play,horn,wipers, as well as a few others that I cant think of right now. If i remember it cost about $40 for a 3 axel tractor and $30 for a tandem axel trailer. It was the same price when I had antique plates.

$500 sounds a little steep shure your not living in CA :lol:

Trent

$500 for tags is not outta range. From what I remember mine was going to be for 33K, it was over $300/yr. That is why I put Historical tags on it. $25 for 50 yrs!

You need to get ahold of someone else at DMV to see if you can get it plated historical. Maybe it's a state that doesn't allow it? I know some guys have a very hard time getting around the brainless idoits sitting behind the desk at DMV. Once you find someone that actually KNOWS the rules you might get what you want. I had to poke pretty hard to get my girls to give me tags, and they gave me the run around for a few minutes but then said OK. I told them how many people do you want me to show you that already have Historical tags on their old trucks.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

If you go with the historic or Antique tags,isn't there a pretty low limit on how many miles you can drive it per year,and what you can use it for? I'm not sure how things will shake out with my EH,it's only showing a 20K GVWR,but I fully intend to drive it frequently,and if I can use it to make a few bucks I will. I'm hoping plates for the :mack1: will be around the same as for my ol' 66 Chevy C-60 were.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Checked with DMV here about plating my EH,and it looks like $262.00 @ 20,000 declared GVW. More than I'd hoped for,but less than I expected. This is for just plain personal plates,not Commercial.

I was told a while back my insurance shouldn't change,due to my current truck and the :mack1: both being old trucks. We'll see--you know how things sometimes change between the phone call to ask prices and the completion of the paperwork.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Hi Guys, Be glad you live and work out of where you do. Here in the garbage... ah, I mean garden state of NJ the tags for my B @ 48K are $728.50 and the DM @ 70K are $982.50. Plus highway use tax and did I mention insurance? About $4,500 for the two with no collision. Count your blessings that you live in the United States and not in New Jersey! But I have hope, we've just bought some property in Maine and are looking forward to moving back to the US as soon as possible. And I'll leave skid marks all the way, well at least to the NJ/NY border. :SMOKIE-LFT: Bob

Ain't a Mack? Take it back!

• 1 month later...

In the great state of Massacusetts, my 1945 Mack EG (16,000 gvw) costs $40 per year for antique plates, plus about $250 to $300 for insurance, not using antique insurance firms.

Using commercial plates would be based on registered gvw weight, plus a big insurance bill.

We have 'year of manufacture' plates available, but I do not know what their impact is to costs.

Annual inspection costs $29, with my type of plate. Luckily, the truck fits into the 'local garage' inspection bay, so I don't have to make a special trip to a bigger garage. Plus it's not diesel, which presents another inspection problem.

The 'inspector' laughs when I come to get a sticker. What could go wrong when your yearly total mileage is under 100 miles, under 200 if you have a busy 'parade' season.

Some restrictions apply, like under 2500 miles, use for club or education purposes, not used for everyday transport, etc.

With antique plates (25 years old or older), no CDL needed.