Help Me With Engines And Years...

kentuckydiesel

The E6 came to be in '80-'81 with the start of the front mounted air to air.Same basic engine as the older 672 ci engines,and available in most of the same hp ratings,250 to 350 hp.The were available as either Maxidynes or Econodynes.

The E7 first appeared in '89 as a mechanical and was built alongside the E6 until '90 when the E6 was phased out.The E7 was available from 250 hp to 400 hp at first.They started the electronic versions in '91.If I remember right,they phased out the mechanical versions in '93-'94.In '95 the 427 and 454 hp came out.The 454 was later redone as a 460 and available to 490 hp as the 460XT.

The E9's roots go back to '79 with the 400hp ENDT1000,think it was about '82 when they came out with the 440hp version and called them E9's.In '85 the 440 was raised to 450hp and the 500 hp version was started.A 400 hp version was also still available.Not sure when the last E9 was built,95 or so?

Never was a E8.

Pretty sure the E9 remained mechanical to the end for US production,but I think it got electronics in Australia,where it was offered for awhile longer in ratings up to 610 hp.

The very first Mack V8 was the END864,in 1962.Same basic block was carried into the later ENDT865 Maxidyne and ENDT866 Thermodyne V8's.Then came the ENDT1000 V8,can't find too much history on this engine,so not 100% sure,but I think it's the same basic block as the 998cu.in.E9 .

Chris88,if you have a mechanical engine in a '98,it's got to be a replacement,or is the truck a glider kit?

I dont really know the history on the truck too well. It looks factory. I always thought RD's were mechanical right till 98. A buddy of mine drove an 1998 RD that was mechanical too. The tag on the valve cover says compliant with the model year 1998. I'm pretty sure it does anyway, i'll check next time I'm working on it.