Cant Get The Truck Fired Up

Ok well to start its a 64 B61 with a 711. Im not getting fuel to the injectors. Im getting fuel right to the injection pump but nothin past the IP. It hasnt run in about 8 years. The only things i could think of is either the pump is gummed up or the fuel shut off isnt working. Does anyone have any suggestions? Everythings turning over smooth and the truck is building oil pressure so thats all good. It fires on ether.

Chris

The rack in the injection pump is stuck in the "no fuel" position.

As Herb said, or in the case of my 57 B-61, one plunger was corroded and struck. I took the pump off of the engine, removed the side cover, and all delivery valves, cleaned everything in the solvent tank with fresh solvent, and then worked all little pieces parts gingerly until all was free again. It was quite simple to do, just time consuming. After re-installing the pump, the engine runs very well. I've got a rebuild book for your pump if it is an APE type pump and will copy if it will help you.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

What would it take to check the rack? Just pull the side cover? Im hopin its something simple, the trucks not at my house yet but once i get it here i can really dig into it. Id rather have it running before i got it here but the way it looks it may not happen. I'm not sure which pump i have on the truck, I'll take down the info next time i see the truck

Thanks

Chris

As Herb said, or in the case of my 57 B-61, one plunger was corroded and struck. I took the pump off of the engine, removed the side cover, and all delivery valves, cleaned everything in the solvent tank with fresh solvent, and then worked all little pieces parts gingerly until all was free again. It was quite simple to do, just time consuming. After re-installing the pump, the engine runs very well. I've got a rebuild book for your pump if it is an APE type pump and will copy if it will help you.

Rob

Hi, Rob.

Last spring when I made my annual trip to CT, I helped my old friend Chet get his B61 with 711 started after it was sitting for 11 years. The rack was stuck in that one too and we managed to get it unstuck without pulling the pump.

We pulled the top cover off the governor and the side cover off the pump, sprayed a liberal amount of PB blaster all over the area where the rack meshes with the plungers, and also sprayed the linkage and stuff inside the governor housing.

Then we took a fairly large screwdriver & pryed first one way then the other way on that link that connects the governor yoke to the rack. Even gave the screwdriver a few light taps with a small hammer.

We kept messing with it like that for an hour or two, and the rack started to move slightly, then we just kept working it back & forth & spraying more blaster on the parts , also pumped the hand primer occasionally while doing this to try and flush out any rust or gum which may have been around the plungers.

After a while the rack was moving nice & smooth, but just to be sure, we pulled the engine stop and made sure the rack went back to no fuel without binding, cause we didn't want a runaway.

Stuck the covers back on, pumped up the primer again just to be sure, and with the fresh set of batteries we had installed earlier it fired right up.

It was a gamble, but if we hadn't have been successful, then we would have stuck a different pump on it, cause he had a couple spares there.

That was a 10 wheeler dump truck that I had driven back in the mid 70's, sure was fun to get to drive it again after all that time.

Herb

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I've dealt with a few stuck plungers lately. If you pull the side cover and see one of the springs compressed and not touching the lifter that could stick your rack. I usually put a screwdriver between the coils and ligtly tap down with a hammer. I've had good success with Mack pumps that way. Didn't have good luck with a pump on a Deutz as soom as I touched it with the hammer the plumger broke and the spring snapped open. That pump turned out to be beyond help though heavy corrosion everywhere. The big thing here though is patience. Like Herb said take some time use plenty of pentrant and be sure things work smooth without sticking especially the shutdown.

Chuck

I've dealt with a few stuck plungers lately. If you pull the side cover and see one of the springs compressed and not touching the lifter that could stick your rack. I usually put a screwdriver between the coils and ligtly tap down with a hammer. I've had good success with Mack pumps that way. Didn't have good luck with a pump on a Deutz as soom as I touched it with the hammer the plumger broke and the spring snapped open. That pump turned out to be beyond help though heavy corrosion everywhere. The big thing here though is patience. Like Herb said take some time use plenty of pentrant and be sure things work smooth without sticking especially the shutdown.

Chuck

Hi Chuck and Herb:

As Chuck explained is what the problem was with mine. Number 3 plunger was stuck in the up position and would not allow the rack to move. I was able to (with a screwdriver) get the plunger to pop back down but being cautious, (and never having a pump apart) I wanted to see what made her tick so to speak. After I cleaned everything up I used a very fine paint stick to make index marks before anything was physically removed to eliminate confusion, (I do confuse easily LOL) and from there it was just take it apart, clean, and reassemble, reinstall. I did not have to set the timing as the pump only mounts to the engine one way and if the engine is not turned over with the pump off, it will not be out of time. It now runs great again.

This is the truck (for my daughter) that will get the engine up your way Herb. This engine will become another spare and if CleviteKelly can locate a suitable rebuild kit, I will "freshen" it up a bit just so it is ready.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Some of these old engines that haven't been run for some time will rev up and not stop until something breaks. Even the fuel cut off won't work. You may want to install a quick coupler or a valve on the supply line at the pump so you can kill the engine if this situation should arise.

Some of these old engines that haven't been run for some time will rev up and not stop until something breaks. Even the fuel cut off won't work. You may want to install a quick coupler or a valve on the supply line at the pump so you can kill the engine if this situation should arise.

Good point. that is why when we unstuck the rack on that B61, we checked before putting the cover back on the governor, that the rack would go all the way to the no fuel position when the stop knob was pulled.

Another thing I would suggest is that anyone parking a truck for an extended period should make sure the stop knob is left in the shut off position (pulled out).

This way, if the rack does get stuck, it will be in the no fuel position.

If the stop knob is left in the run position (pushed in) and the rack gets stuck, the rack will be stuck "wide open" and the governor will have no control over engine speed, and the stop knob will have no effect either, leading to a "runaway" engine and certain destruction of the engine and possible personal injury.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"