Fontaine 5Th Wheel Adjust:

Rob

Jumped in ole "Yella Dog" today to move him. Backed under the drop deck until the 5th wheel closed up and then connected the air lines. After pulling the trolley valve to lock the trailer brakes to check for jaw locking, I release the clutch and the truck shoots forward about 3" before coming to an abrupt stop jarring my single upper tooth against my lower lip. Turning around and looking out the rear cab window, I back the truck up taking up the slack, then move forward about 3" again. The jaws in the 5th wheel look good but I didn't see an adjustment available? Regardless, the other two trucks I've pulled the trailer with do not have this play so I assume the 5th wheel need either adjusted, or rebuilt.

I've never pulled anything with this truck so was a new experience.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Same thing happened in front of our building yesterday afternoon just before leaving work for the day. Apparently he didn't have sense enough to make sure the fifth wheel was locked before taking off. He got really lucky, he was only about 30-40 feet from entering the highway when the trailer came loose. From what I heard today, the cab was jarred badly enough that the doors were all cattywampus and wouldn't open so he had to crawl out the window ala the Dukes of Hazzard

post-6084-0-60128800-1314157364_thumb.jp

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Same thing happened in front of our building yesterday afternoon just before leaving work for the day. Apparently he didn't have sense enough to make sure the fifth wheel was locked before taking off. He got really lucky, he was only about 30-40 feet from entering the highway when the trailer came loose. From what I heard today, the cab was jarred badly enough that the doors were all cattywampus and wouldn't open so he had to crawl out the window ala the Dukes of Hazzard

post-6084-0-60128800-1314157364_thumb.jp

I seen a guy drop a brand new, (one overnight stay) "Avion" camper on the ground after destroying his bedsides a few years back. That made a hell of a racket when it impacted the ground cause a lot of fiberglass fractured and exploded from the impact. I've always checked a 5th wheel for locking before pulling, but that reinforced the need for me.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

My fontaine had an adjustment bolt sticking out right side like a half inch bolt I think. Just push in on the head of the bolt with your hand and it should move in (spring loaded). I think it is supposed to have like 1/4 inch play. I think the older ones are different though so this may not be of any help. Trey

Close the jaws and see if both wedges slide across. If they do then check for play with a 2" slug. There should be a bolt with a 15/16" head sticking out the right side of the head. Turn it counter clockwise, it will let the rear wedge slide farther across and take out the slack. More than likely it will be rusted fast and won't turn. You have 2 choices then, heat the nut on the underside of the head and get it to turn or my choice, cut off the part of the bolt that sticks past the nut that the wedge would rest against. You don't need it anyway, then it will let the wedges auto adjust. The biggest reason it was there was if a wedge got tight (hardly ever happens) and you couldn't pull the release handle you could hit the bolt with a hammer and loosen the wedge.

The 5th wheel is on a 1964 B61 but I know it is not original to the tractor. I'll look for the bolt.

On another note, the Holland you helped me adjust works well after cleaning and adjusting.

Rob

Most of the Fontaines were refered to as "no slack". The early ones had the adjuster bolt on. The later ones still had the rod but it had a round head and weren't adjustable. It was only there to free a tight wedge. Which is one of the reasons I said to remove it.

A fifth wheel with a bolt sticking out the front or with an allen head bolt in the throat are both Hollands.

Most of the Fontaines were refered to as "no slack". The early ones had the adjuster bolt on. The later ones still had the rod but it had a round head and weren't adjustable. It was only there to free a tight wedge. Which is one of the reasons I said to remove it.

A fifth wheel with a bolt sticking out the front or with an allen head bolt in the throat are both Hollands.

Hmm pretty sure mine is a Fontaine. ............................ Just looked and sure as hell. No wonder the moron that had the 5th wheel when I was getting an inframe couldn't get parts. he had no idea what it was. and a phone call would of given him the vin to the truck to get parts

slpwlker, if you do have the Holland with the bolt in the throat it's not to bad to rebuild. The one with the bolt out the front requires more work to do right. You can't just throw the parts in and expect it to work. I think thats the one Rob has.

Either way if the guy couldn't identify the head, he's not the one you want working on it. If something goes wrong theres huge liability.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if this thing is a "Holland" after all. There is no readable tag but it has a flat platter with no grooves manufactured into the face. There is a sheared off bolt through the front, and the release handle is a flat bar rather than a bent into a "U" rod the other "Holland" ones I have use. There is an aluminum tag that looks riveted to the rt. side but it cannot be read.

The jaws do not come together at the rear but rather leave almost a 3/4" gap between them.

Rob

slpwlker, if you do have the Holland with the bolt in the throat it's not to bad to rebuild. The one with the bolt out the front requires more work to do right. You can't just throw the parts in and expect it to work. I think thats the one Rob has.

Either way if the guy couldn't identify the head, he's not the one you want working on it. If something goes wrong theres huge liability.

Yeah you got that right. All I need is one of the locks not to engage.

Hey Randy, I thought I seen you pull into a Wal-Mart store in Peoria this afternoon. This is no shit too: I was awaiting my wife and daughter in the parking lot and seen a Peterbilt limp in with a sleeper about the size of yours without a trailer, close to the same wheelbase, lift axle, and plain white. Thinking it may have been you and judging only what your avatar photo, and posted photo of you, and dog, I drove over. Well low and behold, the guys wife was driving the truck and when they both jumped out, I knowd right away it wasn't you. The truck was apparently new with an Illinois "temp tag" in the windshield.

Rob

Rob

If you have a flat bar an a, swing lock, it could be an ASF American Steel Foundry, I had them on my older Macks an I also ordered a few for my Pete's years back, unfortuneatly they were bought out an I can no longer get parts for them any more

BULLHUSK

Rob

If you have a flat bar an a, swing lock, it could be an ASF American Steel Foundry, I had them on my older Macks an I also ordered a few for my Pete's years back, unfortuneatly they were bought out an I can no longer get parts for them any more

BULLHUSK

There is a funny looking piece of steel that looks like it would possibly lock something into place. Kinda looks like a swing bolt that slips into an eye on a house door to hold it closed, or locked. The platter looks like a Fontaine to me but the bolt that was in the front, (pointing at the rear of the cab) is plain to see (sheared off). It is much too smooth for a torch cut although a band saw would cut it. Too rusty to tell for certain.

Rob

Yeah it definatley wasn't us. Still home. got the truck back and now the trailer. But think I got another truck problem. Seems my boost isn't quite up to norm. But bobtail and even with the trailer it flat gets up and runs. Idk might just be me. Might be heading up to Pa and load something for Wednesday

Yeah it definatley wasn't us. Still home. got the truck back and now the trailer. But think I got another truck problem. Seems my boost isn't quite up to norm. But bobtail and even with the trailer it flat gets up and runs. Idk might just be me. Might be heading up to Pa and load something for Wednesday

I knew it wasn't you. The people that jumped out of that truck looked like they were auditioning for starring roles in the next "People of Wal-Mart" video series.

Rob

Rob, put up some pictures. We should be able to figure it out.

I'll do that tomorrow. Left my camera with my daughter.

Rob