2 B-70 Series Trucks Delivered This Weekend

Found a couple of B-70 series trucks in my travels lately, just couldn't pass them up for the price.

The first truck is a 1964 B-73S, quadraplex, SWD57/CRD93 rears and a cummins NH250 (no turbo) with jakes. The cummins is making some noise, not sure if it is rods, pistons or what. It does have steady blowby. It used to have a crane or boom on it with a flatbed. The front axle looks to be a transplant, the numbers were in the right spot for a Mack, but they didn't make any sense. Here's a couple of the numbers: 3QHF442-P2, 3QH443-P1; normally they have an "FA" in the model number, right?

The second truck is a 1962 B753S. It was near the Oregon coast, does have a bit of rust, and currently has a folding stiffleg boom on it with 2 winches. It also has a quadraplex and an ENDT673 with jakes! The turbo is bad though. Somebody was an aspiring welder and layed more rod on this truck (frame, cab, suspension brackets, etc), that it just makes you cringe...I guess when the job won't wait, you have to get 'er done!

I am debating using one truck for parts in order to make a heavy lowboy hauler with a winch (or two) on the tractor and kozad style ramps. The '64 has an excellent cab, just a few dings, and fenders and hood that could use work. I'm not a tachograph fan (which the '64 has for a speedo and tach), but the '62 has a standard gauge panel, better fenders and hood, and two winches for the boom. All in all, the good parts on one complement that bad parts on another.

I guess as I write this, I am coming to the conclusion to use the blue '62 as a donor truck for the '64...unless anybody knows where to get sheetmetal at a decent price and knows of an NH-250 needing a home in WA or OR. I still haven't decided, but wanted to let you guys see what I picked up, see if you have any leads for tin/motors, and get your thoughts.

Thanks, Scott

Saw this today on the Portland Ore. Craigslist. Might be another possibility for your collection.

1965 Mack Model "B" dump truck. Cummins 250 diesel - $950

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: sale-262813029@craigslist.org

Date: 2007-01-14, 11:25PM PST

Guys,

Thanks for the leads and information. My wife is gonna be rolling her eyes!

I was wondering about the front axle numbers; the P1 & P2 designations at the end seemed common with the numbers I saw on the rear ends.

I saw there is a turbo on eBay; does anybody know of a good source for rebuilding or rebuilt Schwitzer turbos for ENDT673's? What is a going rate?

Thanks again,

Scott

Don't forget the B Model Registery at oldmacksrus.com. Get your information sent in so I can get yours in the registery.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Got my '58 in a while back, just finished with the '62 & '64.

Thanks!

Scott

• 2 weeks later...