1693ta Caterpillar Rebuild:

Rob

I'm looking for input on this path of progression:

I purchased a factory Caterpillar service manual for my engine in the RL755L within the correct serial number block and was able to learn a great deal from just the printed material. The first thing I was able to figger out is how to get the oil leaks stopped from the cam boxes, and how to hook up the "Brakesaver Retarder". After reconnecting the air lines to the trolley valve for the "Brakesaver", and reconnecting the air line to the oil manifold, I was then ready to apply air pressure. (This system uses engine oil to effectively fill a cavity with both rotating, and stationary vanes to effect engine braking). Upon application of air pressure to the manifold via the trolley valve, a lot of engine oil immediately puked from the flywheel housing onto the shop floor. This told me on short order why the air lines were disconnected!! Somebody simply didn't want to fix it!!

Alright, this now brings me to the "meat" of my quandry: Citing that I'm going remove the engine from the chassis, dissassemble the top end to repair/replace leaking gaskets, remove rear housing on engine to rebuild/repair the "Brakesaver" unit, and roll bearings into the lower end, should I use a genuine Caterpillar "out of frame" master kit, or one from FP Diesel, (the aftermarket system of Federal Mogul)? The Caterpillar kit is about $700.00 more in cost, (before my wife's employee discount) than the "fleet" pricing I can get through my shop. The engine runs very well now, but leaks a lot of oil at idle.

I'm more of a "tinkerer" rather than much of a mechanic as most of you know and this will be my first Caterpillar engine to work on. If I'm going to do the job, I want to do it right so there is no need for a second go round.

I would be interested in opinions of those that have used "aftermarket" parts in their repairs vs. genuine OEM parts. I've been told by a good friend about his 350 Cummins engine not faring well with two aftermarket rebuilds, and it's service with genuine Cummins parts.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

To start, I am a self employed truck and heavy equipment mechanic with over 20 years experience.

I can tell you from experience if you are looking at the FP diesel kit for the 3 year 300K warranty, it's not worth the paper it's written on. I built a 3406B several years ago and it went down at 91K (#6 piston disentegrated and bent valves and damaged head and spread debris to #5), had to buy the replacement parts for 2 cylinders and wait for warranty decision. It took them 18 months to decide that the engine had been run extremely hot (if so, why are the other 4 cylinder kits still running after 250K?) and totally denied the claim. This owner/operator is a longtime customer and personal friend of mine, so I know he didn't abuse this engine as it is his only source of income.

When this company was still Sealed Power, I once had a Cummins go down within the warranty period and they sent new parts and even paid for oil, antifreeze and labor!

This has been my experience with this company, yours may be much better.

On the Cummins rebuild using aftermarket parts, I would use nothing other than Clevite. Actually Clevite makes many of Cummins parts. I have opened Clevite boxes and found Cummins badged parts inside.

Jeff

1971 Mack R600 Toterhome "Superdawg"

living the life of leisure pulling

1999 NuWa Snowbird 34+2 SE102 "Dawghouse"

To start, I am a self employed truck and heavy equipment mechanic with over 20 years experience.

I can tell you from experience if you are looking at the FP diesel kit for the 3 year 300K warranty, it's not worth the paper it's written on. I built a 3406B several years ago and it went down at 91K (#6 piston disentegrated and bent valves and damaged head and spread debris to #5), had to buy the replacement parts for 2 cylinders and wait for warranty decision. It took them 18 months to decide that the engine had been run extremely hot (if so, why are the other 4 cylinder kits still running after 250K?) and totally denied the claim. This owner/operator is a longtime customer and personal friend of mine, so I know he didn't abuse this engine as it is his only source of income.

When this company was still Sealed Power, I once had a Cummins go down within the warranty period and they sent new parts and even paid for oil, antifreeze and labor!

This has been my experience with this company, yours may be much better.

On the Cummins rebuild using aftermarket parts, I would use nothing other than Clevite. Actually Clevite makes many of Cummins parts. I have opened Clevite boxes and found Cummins badged parts inside.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, thanks for your reply. I don't want to take some vendors word for the quality of their parts but rather "real world" experiences such as yours. I have not read any literature on any FP diesel warranty; I just know from being in this part of the world, (Peoria, IL) that the Cat dealer will only recommend factory parts. Carquest, has no listings for the engine in their catalogs. NAPA only lists a head set and it the same cost as Caterpillar branded parts.

I switched paint vendors and manufactures due to similar warranty issues when the product failure was clear and without doubt, so I realize what you are referencing.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

this is a little off topic Rob..are you going to keep the Cat engine in the truck? I thought this was your R12 project??

have a good one

Hi Trent, that was the original plan until I found out how few of these trucks were produced. The other party also needed funds so the balance (engine) was acquired to keep the truck together. I'm currently working on another long hood Mack chassis, but there are title problems, (divorce) and it will be a while before that is settled. The Detroit will have a home in the future.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

The 1693 425 or 380 HP engine was a great engine. Only problem now is that the parts are hard to come by even at distributor level and there are not that many guys around that know how to work on them.

I worked at a cat dealer for 10 years and have only adjusted the valves on one. I actually have a 1693 in storage that was "running".

If your going to get parts i would recommend genuine Cat, sucks but with that engine you get what you pay for when it comes to parts on that old iron.