Yep, I Did That!

randyp

Its rather detailish, but I managed to make the 300 in my 86R dump truck run backwards for bout 30 seconds today. It certainly did blow some dirt and crap and also the rain bonnet off filter housing. My air filter looked like a stack blowing dust and black smoke. I also had no oil pressure during that time, and yes, I may have soiled my panties just a tad. Customer living on lake wanted load of topsoil in backyard between his house and lake. I had to back down very steep incline between 2 houses, mirrors almost touching each house, and I mean VERY steep, with the lake at the bottom of drive. Long story short, I got in a bind, had to try to pull up a bit loaded, knew that was bad idea, but tried anyway, during all this process, did some herky jerking, engine reversed, I knew what was going on but was trying to keep from rolling in lake. I knew I was gonna have to kill it and restart, wasnt sure if brakes would hold, set brake, jumped out, drug a cross tie behind rear wheels, jumped back in and killed it, praying it would restart after all abuse I had just given it. It started, I dumped, and got hell out of dodge! I guess I better check my air filter, prolly blew some holes in it. Friends and fellow Mackanians, it was not a fun day, and no, Detroit is not only engine that will run backwards. I ran it rest of day, oil pressure fine, no knocks, I need a t shirt now that says "I ran a 300 backwards and survived" randyp :wacko:

Not that difficult to do with the older ones. Lug it down too deep, and it hiccups and then runs backward.

Back in the day, when I lived in CT, Carrer FD borrowed a Volunteer companies truck. '72 CF 600. The "professional" operator got it running backward. Said it was whistling like craxy pulling air in the exhaust. the engine enclosure was quite a mess with everything getting dumped in there. They called a tow truck, not knowing what actually happened. Then called the head officer for the fire company. He called his company mechanic down there, they fired it uo, drove it away. Did disconnect the hoses first.

Not a dig to those on the job here

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Years ago i was working night shift and a call came in for some one to make a road call 1/2 mile down the street to start a 6-71. I got down there and it was a tanker driver i knew which had loaded a load 1/2 from were he was stopped. He did not know what happened but he killed his DD and it started backwards. He put in reverse and it went forwards. He was alittle slow so he called the night dispatcher and told him he had two forwared and ten reverse. The dispacher told him to put it in reverse and come home. It went 1/2 mile and locked up with a load of fuel on it.The driver did not know nothen about the engine running backwards and as he stated didnt care which way it ran as long as it ran.Those was the old cracker box when they were new.

• Like 1

glenn akers

heh heh,,I hear you guys, its definitly not something I want happening every day. I think it was mostly just the bad steep and tight place I was in that had me so worried. I thought, "Shit, they will never get a wrecker down in here, might as well plant flowers in bed and call it a yard ornament" randyp

Randy-I would change the air filter. All that soot got run into it from inside. hopefully it all passes thru the engine without a problem

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

about 7 years ago when i first got into Heavy Haul and was still a company driver. Was in Licoln,Al and dumped the clutch on an 89 t6 with a 435 cat. It tarted spinning backwards. Caught me off gaurd and was able to catch it once I figured what had happened. Was an oh crap moment for sure

about 7 years ago when i first got into Heavy Haul and was still a company driver. Was in Licoln,Al and dumped the clutch on an 89 t6 with a 435 cat. It tarted spinning backwards. Caught me off gaurd and was able to catch it once I figured what had happened. Was an oh crap moment for sure

I hear you slpwkler, it was a first for me, and a real attention getter,,,randyp

When I was a teenager...and rode with my Dad in the coal truck (1965 Ford 950 Super Duty)...at the end of the day, he would back it up our steep driveway up into a little cove that terminated in a 60 foot pine...

One day when it hit the pine (signal to stop) he didnt get the clutch in fast enough and she ran backwards a few seconds....Awesome seeing all the smoke coming out of the hood scoop! (he didnt think it was cool though!) One of those little memories I wil lnever forget!

We had an E-Tech run away backwards. It had an injector with a split tip and it filled the exhaust up with fuel (unknown to us at the time). Bumped the engine over with the starter and it picked up the fuel and started going backwards, then it started revving up, that's when I started running for shelter.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

No deal there buddy, youse gotta have that thing going at highway speed before you gets the T-shirt!

heh heh, I guarantee you my heart was going at highway speed rhasler, you shoulda seen the incline I was sitting on, and that dam drop off behind me into a deep ass lake. I said to myself "Self,,,this is no freaking place to have to kill engine, and Self, you are a grade-A, class 1, professional dumbass for getting into this fiasco". Woman was standing on balcony of house next door, watching me, prolly wondering who that clown is trying to back in lake. heh heh I wanted to yell at her "Lady, quit staring and get your fat ass down here and help me get this sumbitch scotched or something, or hell, call 911, sherrifs office, fire department, Navy seals, hell,,,,DO SOMETHING!!! lol Well, I guess I lived to tear up shit another day,,,,randyp