T2090 Tranny

mackr688

hey everyone im new on here

i have a r688st with an e6 and a t2090 trans and guess what it wont shift into low hardly at all anymore i need a new one i have never had to buy one before can anyone tell me what a reasonable price would be i have replaced everything from airlines to shift regulator and no luck so i have to bight the bullet and buy a transmission any advice thanks

Was it making grinding noises at each range shift before it stopped working in low completely?

If so, it sounds like it has the classic T2090,T2130, T2180 range shift failure.

This was common on those transmissions.

Pull the back housing off the trans & replace the range shift synchronizer & associated parts.

Of course you could get a rebuilt trans, but that would be a lot more expensive.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Beware of cheap rebuilds...If you are going to bite the bullet, go with the Mack Reman! You will at least get a 2 year warranty to cover it. I'm not just saying that cause I work for Mack either...Genuine Mack Reman's are good products.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

• 1 month later...

Sorry there is no cheap way out

the syncros are prone to failure. The problem is useally in the back half of the trans. It is hard to find original parts for the back Mack offers updated syncros and gear hubs that help the problem with the original design You cant mix the new updated mack parts with some of the original parts so you have to buy every thing. Its around $1500.00

I had the back of my trans rebuilt and its ok It still makes a little noise during range shifts. Mack has an alternative shift pattern low 1 2 3 shift range then shift like a 5 speed mack on the high side You dont use the highest gear on the low side but you use the lowest on the high side I know this is hard to understand. Remember I am a driver not a writer. (note: this does not work with T2090B transmissions ) I shift mine like that and it seems to work good it is kind of weird at first but you will get use to it you can get a Remack factory rebuilt unit but they are around $4000.00 It kind of sucks but what are you gonna do?