Valve Stem Placement?

just wandering if anybody can identify with this. is it true that your valve stems should be placed 180 degrees apart? i was told that it could cause a wobble if they are not opposite each other.

That is correct placement, opposite each other,,,randyp

Sounds like BS to me. The reason they are placed opposite is so that a gauge or air chuck can get in there.

Try reaching in to the inside and watch your wrist get ripped up. (experience)

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

A few ounces of wheel weight can throw off the balance of the assembly. If a valve stem weighs a few ounces, Would that not affect the balance?!? I am with Randy on this one, 180 degrees apart. An added bonus, you don't have to hunt for the inside stem. You know right where it is for checking pressure.

Gregg

the trucking co that i used to work for always wanted them 180 apart. the owner said with the tube type wheels it puts the weak spots of the wheels in dif places and you have fewer cracked rims. makes sence if you run tube type wheels haulin heavy loads.

I always put the valve stems 180* apart just because thats the way I do it.

I was taught to do it that way when I was a kid and been doin' it that way ever since.

When I'm working on trucks at my job, I can tell which ones I put the wheels on & which ones somebody else did just by looking at whether the valve stems are 180* apart.

With 5 spoke Dayton wheels it's impossible to get them 180, but I always put them as close to being 180 as possible.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

With the Vision "diamond" pattern hand hole aluminum wheels, it is possible to get the hand holes to where you can't access the inside stem at all. Very frustrating when you need to pull a wheel just to check air. Nothing frustrates me more than careless, hasty mechanics. I guess that is why I have settled on doing most of my own work. At least if something is screwed up, I know who to get mad at!

Gregg