Oil On The Engine

stev

Looked at a truck today, a 1984 r686st, which was in pretty good shape, all things considered.

It has been sitting since last June, but started up without too much trouble. No heavy smoke. I had the hood open when he started it, and it looked ok. The filters were all from early 2010 according to the writing on them.

One thing that concerned me, though, was that there was a lot of oil on the turbo side of the engine, from halfway over the top, all the way down to the oil pan, and, interestingly enough, also on the driver's side of the oil pan.

I let it run for about 10 minutes, and didn't notice it oozing or spraying from anywhere. It didn't seem to get any worse, but I still found it troubling. There did not seem to be any noticeable stains on the ground under it. It might have been moved recently, but it is basically in the same spot it was in when pictures. Were taken for the ad a few weeks ago.

Any ideas on what might be going on here?

Thanx . . . . .

Sounds kinda likely sorta almost maybe valve cover grommets leaking, or gaskets. Look round grommets on top of valve covers,,,,randyp

I wondered about that, but wasn't sure how it got so high over the cover.

Something like that, replacing the gromets or the gasket, should not be that painful, or expensive . . . . Unless there is something subtle about the job I am missing . . . .

If it's a 2 valve engine I would lean towards the valve covers too. The bolts get over tightened which will cause the stamped cover to deform and will prevent the fiber washers under the heads of the bolts from sealing. Another possibility is the lifter covers on the right side of the block behind the fuel pump. The paper gaskets harden and eventually will start to leak.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

If it's a 2 valve engine I would lean towards the valve covers too. The bolts get over tightened which will cause the stamped cover to deform and will prevent the fiber washers under the heads of the bolts from sealing. Another possibility is the lifter covers on the right side of the block behind the fuel pump. The paper gaskets harden and eventually will start to leak.

Would it be a problem to only use clear sealer and no gaskets on lifter covers?

mike

if there is not a odd lenght bolt on the lifter covers, i got a longer bolt mixed in, and faught that leak every evening for days, finaly was wipping oil off to look at it and seen the washer turn, nothing like spending 20 hrs on a 30 second fix