Started The B67 Today:

Rob

Yup, on jack stands with all ten tires and brakes pulled off. The truck hasn't been started in almost a year, (maybe more) but with a fresh set of batteries it cranked about 30 seconds and fired off. This engine has one of those hydraulic governors so it takes awhile after the oil pressure builds to stabilize. The truck ran good and barely smoked until rapping the throttle lever, then it really smokes! It was a nice day this morning so I had both shop overhead doors open. I also started my R795 after it's winter nap. It also cranked a bit but fired willingly.

Nice to hear them run again.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob that would be a woodward governor. Good thing about them if you loose the oil pressure the engine shuts down.

Hi Glenn, yes sir it is a Woodward. I had them on gensets until the late 1980's. We did away with them because their percent of regulation was less than the electronic types offered by AMBAC.

They certainly allow the engine to crank a long time before starting if you don't prefill the full flow oil filter after an oil change!! Gotta get that thing full and pressurized before the governor will allow fuel rack movement.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob the few 149 DD that i have worked had a reservoir for about 1 qt of oil that never drained untill the lack of oil from the engine oil pump. That way it waould pick up instantly from the resevoir for maybe a 1/2 min.

On the woodward on your mack if you ever check the timing i can still remenber how its done on that gover.

glenn akers

Rob the few 149 DD that i have worked had a reservoir for about 1 qt of oil that never drained untill the lack of oil from the engine oil pump. That way it waould pick up instantly from the resevoir for maybe a 1/2 min.

On the woodward on your mack if you ever check the timing i can still remenber how its done on that gover.

Hi Glenn, I've never done anything to this engine except rebuild the oil cooler last winter. It was putting coolant into the oil and oil into the cooling system so everything was a mess. To top it off, I cut my left thumb to the bone on the oil filter itself cause it was stuck in the container and I still don't have any feeling in it. It took 16 stitches internal and external to close the wound. I'm going to pull this truck down to bare rails to reseal everything and send the pump in for calibration at the least, so it will need retimed upon reinstall. I'll give you a call sometime as I've never done one.

Rob

When I took mine out Saturday for the first shake down............she was pouring coal(black and some blue) pretty good since it was cold blooded. Once I got it warmed up, it cleared out and the smoke wasn't so bad.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"