Spring Melt In Allentown

fxfymn

Who's planning on going to the Annual Spring Melt Fire Memorabilia & Market place in Allentown this weekend? I'm going for the first time and I'm really looking forward to attending.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Hi Carl,

I am going, and the show organizers requested our B75 Mack and a 1947 Ahren Fox so they will be shown in the display area. You should get there first thing on Sunday, because all of the best deals get sold off early.

I will be there on Sunday so we can meet up at the Mack, Can you bring the a small piece of the chrome railing and purchase info on the chrome rail? I can also go over the pony motor design etc.

Thanks,

Firemack

The Spring Thaw just isn't what it used to be 10 years ago. Back then, by 0900, the line to get in the door would stretch all the way back and up into the upper level parking lot, and if you were at the end of the line, it was 30-45 minutes to get in the door. Then, when you did get inside, it was shoulder to shoulder people. You could find almost anything antique- truck parts, old gear, equipment, books, magazines, etc.

Nowadays it's just getting to be another high-priced tshirt and blue light show. The economy is taking it's toll, as not as many people are showing up, and everything is high-priced- I assume because sellers are not moving as much as they used to, they have to make thier money somehow. Also I have heard that eBay is killing a lot of the "little" sellers.

Anymore, I just go to say hello to old friends that I always see there.

For you new timers, make sure you have lunch at the RITZ diner, right on the other side of the main parking lot- best Pennsylvania Dutch pulled pork sandwiches and milkshakes ever.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I'll be there Sunday, space 122 in the main building.

Won't have any t-shirts for sale, maybe 1 blue light, but I will have a lot of appliances that came with the "new old Mack" and just don't fit the genre of a 1948 rig. Like, Storz fittings for the steamer? Also have a brass bell and a chrome bell. Stop by for a chat.

I am going, and the show organizers requested our B75 Mack and a 1947 Ahren Fox so they will be shown in the display area. You should get there first thing on Sunday, because all of the best deals get sold off early.

I will be there on Sunday so we can meet up at the Mack, Can you bring the a small piece of the chrome railing and purchase info on the chrome rail? I can also go over the pony motor design etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing you. I'll bring the rail. A friend, Tom Herman, and I are coming up on Saturday so we can get to the meet first thing. He is an old hand at these events, so it should be interesting.

I asked the Mack Museum for a shop drawing of the soft sleeve holder I need to build. Along with the drawing they sent me a list of the tools and appliances that were shipped with the truck so now I have a "shopping" list as well. It came with some items I never would have expected such as a Detroit Door Opener and a "10 ft. 2 piece aluminum ext. ladder". Kind of makes me wonder if they used the old trick of bundling equipment with a new truck to equip an existing ladder truck so they wouldn't have to get it through the budget wonks.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I attended the show this week end and for those folks who have never attended this event, or events like them, it is time well spent if you are looking for parts for your truck.

For example I found a pair of rear spot lights with the mounts and the Mack tag still in place on them for $15.00 each. They aren't perfect, but they are far better than the after market lights that are on it now.

It was also a pleasure to meet so many other collectors and old truck buffs.

I got some adapters I needed, two older Scott air packs, Circle D light, old resucitator(?)and a Mars "888". Overall good show again. I have learned when I see something the first time buy it because you don't get a second chance!