Leece-Neville, Or Delco?

What do you guys prefer? I've not had bad luck with any of them but I do need to replace an alternator on my 74RL. Either a 25SI series Delco, or JB series L-N will bolt onto the "J" style mountings. I do think the L-N picks up charging at a lower engine rpm than the Delco. The truck currently has a 2500JB series L-N installed that died today.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

Would'n it be easier to fix and install what you have?

mike

Hi Mike, I'm wanting to up the output current over what is currently installed. If I remember correctly the current alternator is only 75 ampere. Current offerings from vendors are 100+ and fit the same mountings.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I personally have always had good luck with L-N products on heavy trucks,and have always specified them as a replacement when nessesary,and maybe its just me,but i have never had any problem getting the pulley off an L-N case,where in the past i did with a Delco ,on a different application (Detroit 60-series) but as far as light-duty applications,i have had the same Delco alt. on my 1970 chevy pickup for 20 plus years with absoulutely no problems!...........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I vote for L/N . They had trouble with them 10yr ago but the newer ones are great. If you get the right supplier they are cheep... I pay about $29 more then the amp rating, ie 120 anp $149... 160 anp $189. Watch Pete for sale flyer.

My mack dealer (Cook Brs) meets there price.

You can hook them up for pos or neg ground...

Most of the older ambulances and fire trucks had LN alternators. Recently Ford diesels come with 2 factory units that are about 130 amps each. My A has a LN on it from her fire days. It is a 65 amp unit that is in great shape. I would stick with the Leece Neville unit for a couple reasons. First,,it fits the bracketry you have now,,second they are plentifull,,third rebuildability.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?