Removing Block Heater

With the installation of my "new" spin on oil filter housing, I need to remove the original block heater. I was going to maybe swap it with core plug further back? Not sure yet as I have not been able to unscrew the heater plug from block. I got the element out, but can't unscrew the rest. I haven't applied heat yet, but just wondered if anyone else has tried removing one of these after 50 yrs!!

You can see the edge of the heater in the top of this shot:

SDC10806.jpg

If I can get the plug out just to the rear(kinda behind the road draft tube), then I'll swap them and reuse the heater. If not, then I need to locate a new plug. Already checked and plug is not available round my area(need to order one). Trying to avoid that.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 3 weeks later...

With the installation of my "new" spin on oil filter housing, I need to remove the original block heater. I was going to maybe swap it with core plug further back? Not sure yet as I have not been able to unscrew the heater plug from block. I got the element out, but can't unscrew the rest. I haven't applied heat yet, but just wondered if anyone else has tried removing one of these after 50 yrs!!

You can see the edge of the heater in the top of this shot:

SDC10806.jpg

If I can get the plug out just to the rear(kinda behind the road draft tube), then I'll swap them and reuse the heater. If not, then I need to locate a new plug. Already checked and plug is not available round my area(need to order one). Trying to avoid that.

A bolt sitting in the block for 50yrs sounds like a nightmare bound to happen if it snaps off. You may wanna order the plug and move on with life. I would hate to have something that seems simple enough turn into a huge project.

If you absolutely, positively MUST remove it, try warming up the block around the plug, then "massage" the plug with an air chisel equipped with a flat end mushroom bit before trying to break the plug loose. Just go easy with the air chisel!!!!!!!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I did just order another plug from Barry and installed it after getting the block heater mount out of the way.

I first cut through the lip to remove the loose mounting ring behind it. This gave me a bit more room to work. I tried just "unscrewing" it, but that was useless. I tried a big cold chisel and baby sledge but it just started cutting the insert. I didn't want to crack the block so I grabbed my lil propane and warmed around the block for a minute or so. With a few quick hits, it moved and unscrewed itself without much fuss. A quick workover with a wirewheel to clean up everything I lubed up the O-ring on the new plug and screwed it in. I then made a wrench to tighten the plug. It's a big screwdriver looking slot, so I took a piece of 1/4" flat and a large adjustable wrench and got it in nice and tight. So far, so good.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"