Quad Box Conversion

slpwlker

Ok here it goes. I got a 98 Pete factory 4axle for Heavy haul. Running a 3406E 600 hp Cat. with an 18. Been tossing the idea around of when this trans goes out swapping in a 5x4. Will they handle this motor? I have 4.11 on the high side and 5.60 in the on the low side in the back. I grew up watching my dad shift his Mack and know they have a hell of a trans. Any other ideas? Also thinking about swapping in the 2 speeds for 4.56 singles with cross locks. What kind of road speed might I be looking at?

post-8266-0-41794100-1301786395_thumb.jp

Ok here it goes. I got a 98 Pete factory 4axle for Heavy haul. Running a 3406E 600 hp Cat. with an 18. Been tossing the idea around of when this trans goes out swapping in a 5x4. Will they handle this motor? I have 4.11 on the high side and 5.60 in the on the low side in the back. I grew up watching my dad shift his Mack and know they have a hell of a trans. Any other ideas? Also thinking about swapping in the 2 speeds for 4.56 singles with cross locks. What kind of road speed might I be looking at?

You could get a 5 and 4 that will handle the power, but a quadruplex with probably disentegrate immediately if not sooner, as they were never meant to handle the power and torque you've got.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

you will split it open like a melon! Terry

What would be a good one to run? I want to try and get away from the air shift. I've changed dryers,air comp,pulled the line of my splitter and blown alcohol thru them but in the cold my splitter switch sticks and I can't split. just go to a 2 stick and go old school

What would be a good one to run? I want to try and get away from the air shift. I've changed dryers,air comp,pulled the line of my splitter and blown alcohol thru them but in the cold my splitter switch sticks and I can't split. just go to a 2 stick and go old school

Start here: http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/PS8.asp

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

456's with tall rubber and a .73 overdrive would give you almost 72 MPH at 1900 Rpm. To further satisfy your curiosity go to to the Road ranger home page, scroll down to tools you can use and choose the road speed calculator. You can use the site to find torque ratings on about any products that Eaton Road Ranger offers. 5&4 and 6&4 set up's are usually Spicer. I am sure they have something heavy enough.

That 3406E will tear an old Mack twin stick up like no tomorrow. Your first problem is those trannys had single disc clutches (maybe they can be itted with twin disc) and single countershafts. Your CAT has what 1850-2050 ft/lbs? The Mack duplex/triplex/quad was designed to go behind an engine that produced around 600 ft/lbs. Hell even the 800 something ft/lbs (820 or 890, i forget) of the 237 Maxidyne can damage an old (pre-maxitorque) twin stick if improperly driven.

The newer twin stick setups are based the the TTC (ex Spicer) 6 speed and 4 speed aux. Even the new TTC 6 wont handle the 1850-2050 ft/lbs, it tops out at 1400. The Mack T306 is a six speed that can handle 1700 ft/lbs so that might be a good place to start.

IMHO, I would leave the gearbox alone. The 18 speed is a great match for the big power coming out of your engine and you wont have to worry about matching gear ratios or other nonsense. If it aint broke don't fix it (unless you can make it better).

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

That 3406E will tear an old Mack twin stick up like no tomorrow. Your first problem is those trannys had single disc clutches (maybe they can be itted with twin disc) and single countershafts. Your CAT has what 1850-2050 ft/lbs? The Mack duplex/triplex/quad was designed to go behind an engine that produced around 600 ft/lbs. Hell even the 800 something ft/lbs (820 or 890, i forget) of the 237 Maxidyne can damage an old (pre-maxitorque) twin stick if improperly driven.

The newer twin stick setups are based the the TTC (ex Spicer) 6 speed and 4 speed aux. Even the new TTC 6 wont handle the 1850-2050 ft/lbs, it tops out at 1400. The Mack T306 is a six speed that can handle 1700 ft/lbs so that might be a good place to start.

IMHO, I would leave the gearbox alone. The 18 speed is a great match for the big power coming out of your engine and you wont have to worry about matching gear ratios or other nonsense. If it aint broke don't fix it (unless you can make it better).

I thank you all for the feedback. I'm gonna run this till it dies then go from there. I sent a message to TTC since I read in there FAQ's that they will build custom setups so maybe they can do a high torque when the time comes, Just waiting on a response. I am just trying to get away from the air stuff on the trans. Been having problems with splitter freezing in the cold. I've pulled the lines and blew them out and flushed alcohol thru them,new dryer, and did the air comp. cold weather it still acts up. I figure It will hold up another year. I'll deal with it then