Steering Problem

justincase

Anybody had problems with steering box's. I have 93 rb and it developed a hard spot on each revolution of wheel. I thought it was u-joint in steering shaft and replaced both. Took it for test drive today and it's worse. On the verge of dangerous. Seems strange it is in exact same position of wheel and steering shaft on each turn of wheel. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance Justin

Anybody had problems with steering box's. I have 93 rb and it developed a hard spot on each revolution of wheel. I thought it was u-joint in steering shaft and replaced both. Took it for test drive today and it's worse. On the verge of dangerous. Seems strange it is in exact same position of wheel and steering shaft on each turn of wheel. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance Justin

The slip may be out of time.But it should bind ever 1/2 turn if it is timing.

glenn akers

not sure what you mean by slip out of time. I think it is every 1/2 turn

The slip splines at the column above your knees when in the driver's seat. The u-joints must be in the same plane of rotation at the same time to avoid binding. Pull the shafts apart and ensure the u-joint angles are in the same plane when installed. This means if a cap is facing straight up on the gear end, a cap on the other end should be oriented exactly the same way. If the spline is one tooth off, (probably 15 degees angular) the slip is "out of time" and will bind as you turn the steering wheel.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The slip splines at the column above your knees when in the driver's seat. The u-joints must be in the same plane of rotation at the same time to avoid binding. Pull the shafts apart and ensure the u-joint angles are in the same plane when installed. This means if a cap is facing straight up on the gear end, a cap on the other end should be oriented exactly the same way. If the spline is one tooth off, (probably 15 degees angular) the slip is "out of time" and will bind as you turn the steering wheel.

Rob

Thank you guys That's what it was. Thankfully I didn't pull steering box off Yikes!

Coupla years ago I was driving a '66 Chevy 60 I'd just put an engine in;leaving the shop I went around a right turn,all was fine,went around a LEFT turn,something went "POP" and it wouldn't turn past straight. Luckily I wasn't going too fast so I got it stopped before it did any damage. I managed to ease it home and found most of the guts of the steering box lying in the bottom of the box. On the plus side,I learned I could install a box from a '75 C-65,bolt on,and get power steering with the only fabrication being a bracket to mount the axle end of the slave cylinder. :thumb: sometimes even bad things bring good things.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>