Steer Tires:

Rob

A guy stops by the shop and says he has an "overstock" sale of Ohtsu brand radial tires including 11RX24.5, and 11RX22.5 sizes. He says they are not a bad tire given the price, ($230.00, and $215.00) and will mount them free if I haul the rims to their place. I don't know much about this brand of tire except they have been around several years. Several of their casings are on my A40 but that truck hasn't seen a hundred miles in 10 years so can't say much other than trouble free.

Any thoughts or opinions? I am in the market for steer tires for four trucks.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have seen them here and there over the past 25 years, don't know much about them. For that price, I would be willing to try them. For years I insisted on premium steer tires (Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental) and paid a premium for them. The last two sets were Yokohama and my current set of Toyo. The Yokohamas gave better service than all others at around $150 less per tire. So far I am liking the Toyos but only 30,000 miles too early to tell.

I have seen them here and there over the past 25 years, don't know much about them. For that price, I would be willing to try them. For years I insisted on premium steer tires (Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental) and paid a premium for them. The last two sets were Yokohama and my current set of Toyo. The Yokohamas gave better service than all others at around $150 less per tire. So far I am liking the Toyos but only 30,000 miles too early to tell.

Hi Greg, this tire dealer, (whom I've dealt with for years) carries both Yokahama, and Toyo. I've ran both on the wreckers/carriers with both yeilding good service. I can't say which is best because both brands were shot by 125,000 on the steer axles. I liked the Goodyear G124 series for the drives as a good balance of smooth and moderate traction. I've never had a tire blow, or come apart at speed, nor a flat in a big truck out on the road.

I may try these on a truck that is short hopped like my A40. It has brand new 10.00X22 bias tires but the amount of time this truck sits, it takes several miles to "round them out".

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Sonofabitch. Couple weeks ago I ran over something and put a hole in one of my steer tires...can't patch 'em so I had to buy a new one and ended up buying 2 because I have a complex about mis-matched tires. Put two Dunlap steers on for about twice what your tire guy wants for those tires...dammit sonofabitch. Luckily this happened right down the road from a tire shop and not in the middle of nowhere cause if I had to road it home I'da had to stop every 5 minutes to air up the tire.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Hi when I bought my Rawhide the last owner had just put on one new Ohtsu. I bought another to match them up and they only lasted approx. 50000 miles. I think that for a hobby truck or a part time runner they'd be fine but for a steady over the road tire I'd buy either Mich. or BF's.

I tend to agree with Griffy,given that i don't know much about the brand,i think they would yield good service on a hobby or limited use truck,but for day to day over the road service,i have always used Michelins on everything i've ever had (truckwise) and have nothing but good things to say about them. My CX was originally equipped with Goodyears,which in my mind did'nt last near as long as they should have,but gave me no trouble with pre-mature failures and the like,i think mine is more of a personal preference,but for that price,i'd be inclined to try em'!................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

There was a push on them up here for awhile. I have used the 425 steers They are very soft! Ride good but don't last especially on a 20 front. The price here for a 425 is 550-600cdn, and a 12r steer about 250-300. There are black and round and not a bad tire for the price, but if you can afford something beter then spend the cash. No one around here will accept the the casings here for recap credit. Not really a good tire for my line of work(industrial scrap) some of my fellow brokers have run them as well we all agree. Bobo

These tires seem to be a used truck dealer's delight. I've spoken with a lot of folks that have tried the brand, and have not been happy with either durability, or longevity.

I appreciate everyone's opinion and think I'm going to go with a better tire. My stuff is always inside unless being used so dryrot and UV breakdown is not near as prevelant as something sitting out of doors always. Don't really mind spending the bucks to get top quality tires but the end use is a big player.

Thanks,

Rob

These tires seem to be a used truck dealer's delight. I've spoken with a lot of folks that have tried the brand, and have not been happy with either durability, or longevity.

I appreciate everyone's opinion and think I'm going to go with a better tire. My stuff is always inside unless being used so dryrot and UV breakdown is not near as prevelant as something sitting out of doors always. Don't really mind spending the bucks to get top quality tires but the end use is a big player.

Thanks,

Rob

i am starting to run otsu trailer tires to early to tee and im gona try toyo drives we just wore out are first set of stering tires all the way out strait across wore out no cupping no chopping in 40 years in the buissines it was a dunlop sp384

Thanks,

Rob

Over the years, I have run all kinds. These days, a bargain on a quality tire, might be hard to find. Dealer support is a contributing factor. If I had to have a pair of steer tires first thing in the morning. Dunlop would be my choice. I never had a bad one. If I'm not mistaken their casings are made in a Bridgestone plant. A few years ago, you could buy a Dunlop for slightly less than a $100.00 less than the other major brands.