Rowdy...speakin Of 8N's

Gambi80

I agree,farming has always been an inherantly dangerous business,i for one am glad to see all the safety features added in recent years,if people would JUST USE THEM! be a lot less accidents! I have a treasured picture of my grandfather,sitting on his Oliver 88 with a borrowed "cornpicker" attachment in place,he's holding up his hands to show he still has all of his fingers at the end of the season! I dont know for sure how many times he turned over a tractor,but lived to be 87 years old,which was quite an accomplishment for a life-long farmer!...............Mark

I was driving-well,steering anyway- a Farmall C tractor before I even started school. All I had to do was drive between 2 rows of hay bales while Dad and my grandfather loaded the wagon,then Dad would jump on at the end of the field and get me pointed back up between the next 2 rows.

So being around tractors and farm equipment all my life,I knew how dangerous it could be.But my last year of high school I only had 2 classes in the morning,then i'd go home and help daddy on the farm. I was picking corn one day,had a mounted cornpicker on a 5000 Ford tractor. There was a set of rollers that went up behind you and a fan-the rollers shucked the corn, most of it that is, and the fan would blow the shucks off to the side. A corn picker is very dangerous, there are many things that can grab you, and I knew to always turn it off before you do anything. So I knew better than to reach behind me and clear the shucks away that had packed up in the chute with it running but I did it anyway. Something caught the end of the sleeve of my jacket-and pulled the whole sleeve off. If it had been a better jacket that the sleeve didn't come off of it would have been disastrous. It scared the hell out of me. I took what was left of the jacket way down in the woods and threw it away and never told anyone.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I was driving-well,steering anyway- a Farmall C tractor before I even started school. All I had to do was drive between 2 rows of hay bales while Dad and my grandfather loaded the wagon,then Dad would jump on at the end of the field and get me pointed back up between the next 2 rows.

So being around tractors and farm equipment all my life,I knew how dangerous it could be.But my last year of high school I only had 2 classes in the morning,then i'd go home and help daddy on the farm. I was picking corn one day,had a mounted cornpicker on a 5000 Ford tractor. There was a set of rollers that went up behind you and a fan-the rollers shucked the corn, most of it that is, and the fan would blow the shucks off to the side. A corn picker is very dangerous, there are many things that can grab you, and I knew to always turn it off before you do anything. So I knew better than to reach behind me and clear the shucks away that had packed up in the chute with it running but I did it anyway. Something caught the end of the sleeve of my jacket-and pulled the whole sleeve off. If it had been a better jacket that the sleeve didn't come off of it would have been disastrous. It scared the hell out of me. I took what was left of the jacket way down in the woods and threw it away and never told anyone.

The "tanning" received wouldn't have been leather on a belt or jacket.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I agree,farming has always been an inherantly dangerous business,i for one am glad to see all the safety features added in recent years,if people would JUST USE THEM! be a lot less accidents! I have a treasured picture of my grandfather,sitting on his Oliver 88 with a borrowed "cornpicker" attachment in place,he's holding up his hands to show he still has all of his fingers at the end of the season! I dont know for sure how many times he turned over a tractor,but lived to be 87 years old,which was quite an accomplishment for a life-long farmer!...............Mark

99% of safety happens between the ears. All of the "safety features" in the world won't make up for a lack of common sense, a momentary lapse in judgment, or a split second of complacency. In fact, the more "safety features" something has, the more complacent more people get, which I would argue leads to MORE incidents. Don't have any incidents and you have no need for the "safety features". Even WITH the "safety features", any time you have an incident there is still a possibility of injury.

Hell, just look at cars. You have your crumple zones, seat belts, and air bags in the steering wheel and dash, and in some vehicles even side curtain air bags. Crashing no longer hurts. Add in traction control, all wheel drive, and anti-lock brakes and people get that false sense of security to drive faster than they ought to be when the roads aren't all that great. With automatic transmissions, people don't even know how to drive the car...just put it in "D" and try to keep it between the ditches...and if you can't, no biggie...you've got this protective cage designed to make sure you don't get hurt. People are willing to send text messages, read the morning paper, study for that test they are on their way to take, put on their make-up, shave, etc. because most of the time a fender bender isn't going to be any more than a minor inconvenience that they'll walk away from without a scratch.

Stupidity SHOULD be painful. Put a sandbag in the airbag to pop the stupid MFer in the mouth extra hard when they rear-end somebody. I guarantee people would pay more attention to what they are doing. :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Did you have to empty the poop out your drawers too...?

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg