Demolition

randyp

I demolished old house this week, built in 1900, out in the country, been used as a haybarn the last 40 years. It didnt have any indoor plumbing or wiring, just old thick ass lumber and a tin roof, no insulation. The last tenants had tacked strips of cardboard over the gaps between boards, trying to stay warm I guess. It was kinda sad, but if I didnt take job, somebody else would anyway, so I just handled it reverently. I dug a really deep, wide hole right beside it, caved roof in with excavator, put lil in hole, got it started, and when heat wasnt running me off, kept chunking it in. That sumbitch did get some kinda hot, but got it all down and burnt in one day and covered hole up next day. All reverently, mind you,,,,,randyp

post-4330-0-47546900-1296258912_thumb.jp

Did you save the hay or was it a casualty of the fire?

Alas, the hay was very old, prolly bout 40 square bales all totaled in all the rooms, and it went up in smoke. All I saved was one old doorknob, and two very old plow harnesses. It had a well on the back porch, I caved top in and filled it with dirt. randyp

There's a couple of places in Va.that I know of that pay top dollar for old lumber like that. You probably couldn't get much for it now though.

Your right on that Tom, landowner was aware of it, but wanted it down and gone really quick. She told me I could have all I wanted (heh, lumber, that is) but I didnt have time to mess with it or anywhere to store it. It had some really nice trim wood for picture frames and such. Landowneress is rolling in dough anyway, she dont need it. randyp

There's a couple of places in Va.that I know of that pay top dollar for old lumber like that. You probably couldn't get much for it now though.

Charred scrapings make for some excellent chilli seasoning.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.