Hey just wondering if you guys could give me some in sight i have a 1976 hard nose 6 wheeler R400 with a scanna in it and a 10 speed Eatoni restored the truck it came out mint i am in the excavation business i use it to move a back hoe and a dozer its a little low on power i just bought a 1973 tilt nose for parts 237 and a 5 speed a would like to re power the 400 with this drive train not sure about the 5 speed should get a different trany the 400 has a 4.62 rear end and the tilt noise has a 4.25 would the 4.62 rear be OK what mph would i get and should everything change over thanks any in sight would help

If your talking about a straight five speed I don't think your gonna like it, you wont have a real low gear for off road. Whats wrong with the ten speed or go with a six speed low hole. The eaton fuller web site has a calculator for figuring the mph.

Many macks came with the maxidynes came in diffrent HP ratings 237,285,300etc...5 speeds for the highway or 6 speed for the dirt. both were direct (1.-1. ratio) trainsmissions. A very common rear end ratio was 4.17 for the dirt and 3.87 for the highways

my 6 speed direct with a 4.17 rear ratio gives me around 68MPH with 24.5 rubber.

a higher rear ratio of 4.62 would lower my speed. I would say to around 58-60 mph with 4.62

If you are doing alot of off road moves the low gears are what you will need for soft ground. the 5 speed may have a to big of a first gear? if the eaton has lower ration it may be the better of your options.

If I was you I would replace the engine with the 237, keep the 10 speed (if its an overdrive trans) and keep the rear ratio the same. less things to replace and it will give you good low gears and a good road speed.

my 2nd option would be to replace the engine with the 237. itrade that 5 speed for a 6 speed mack and install the 4.25 rears.

just my .02

If your going to switch,switch everything.The 10 speed behing the Scania is most likely a small one,like a RT610 and won't be heavy enough to hold up behind the 237,and the rear end will be to slow.If you want more gears and speed,find a RTO9513 trans. for it.These are old enough you can get them pretty cheap,and would hold up behind a 237 pretty good,it will give you a little better lo gear,plus overdrive.but if your happy with 58 mph or so,the 5 speed will serve you well in a small dump truck.