Pulling Injectors, Need Some Advice Please!

oldmacktrucks

Hey guys, happy new year to all! Today I pulled my pump so I can send it out to be rebuilt, I wanted to put a new matched set of injectors as well, the last 2 pulled no problem (truck is a DM with a 2 valve 300) the last 2 were not exposed to the elements of salt and rain because they were tucked into the doghouse, the next 4 are giving me a problem. I have the OTC puller and I soaked them with liquid wrench for about 4 hours prior to pulling them, no dice...I stripped out 2 already...I have all the adaptors with the puler so I should be ok threading the puller head right into the nozzle now, my question is what is the best oil to soak with and are there any tricks to pulling stubborn frozen injectors? I dont want to pull the heads, Please help :idunno:

Hey guys, happy new year to all! Today I pulled my pump so I can send it out to be rebuilt, I wanted to put a new matched set of injectors as well, the last 2 pulled no problem (truck is a DM with a 2 valve 300) the last 2 were not exposed to the elements of salt and rain because they were tucked into the doghouse, the next 4 are giving me a problem. I have the OTC puller and I soaked them with liquid wrench for about 4 hours prior to pulling them, no dice...I stripped out 2 already...I have all the adaptors with the puler so I should be ok threading the puller head right into the nozzle now, my question is what is the best oil to soak with and are there any tricks to pulling stubborn frozen injectors? I dont want to pull the heads, Please help :idunno:

I dont know much bout that, but i guarantee when my friend Master Chief Head Mack guru "rhasler" sees this, you best get your pencil out and get ready for solid, time proven advice,,,get in here rhasler, theres work to be done! randyp :thumb:

when I did the injectors in my 2 Valve I had 2 stuck injectors. If I recall I had to make a slide hammer tool to thread onto the injector. Also you may need to heat the area near the injector so it expands. When I did it I would get the truck up to temp and then started slide hammering. I even went as far as backing the hold down nuts off a little and then ran the truck at hi idel to let the Internal presser help push them free.I Like PB blaster for rusty or stuck boltes. The issue is that it needs to get down in the hole to lousen it. some times the holes are rusted to the point that you cant get the fluid down in there.

They can be a PITA so go slow and work them out

fyi.... When you put the new ones in use antiseize!!!

• Like 1

I'll jump in as I've not been invited:

I made my puller from a 3# slide hammer cause I didn't like my OTC puller for this purpose. I welded an injection line nut to an adapter to screw onto the shank of my slide hammer puller. Screw this to the top of the injector and the impacts placed into the body of the injector typically break it loose without damage.

Another way is to soak them as you already have with a good penetrant oil and let it dwell. You can then take a hand held torch and using 'MAPP" gas for fuel, heat the cylinder head around the injection nozzle. Propane does not have enough btu in it and the surrounding iron pulls the heat away too quickly. Using actylene can get too hot in a small area and damage the head, or the injector if not careful.

A third way that has worked well for me requires a helper. Lay a piece of strap steel about 3/16ths thick between the injector and manifold. Using an air hammer with a hammer bit installed, apply pressure to the nozzle with your puller and send vibrations through the engine by beating on the strap steel with your air hammer. Apply a little more force with the puller and repeat the process. Usually a couple times of this and it'll pull out.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I actually have a slide hammer made for this already, I think I will give it a shot tomorrow, its too damn cold for wrenchin tonight. My OTC puller stripped out 2 of the nozzles already, pulled the tip right out of the injector body itself. Thank god I have the adaptor which screws into the body deeper than the tip so I'm able to catch good threads...hopefully. I'll try the mapp gas and keep my fingers crossed. I'm using liquid wrench, maybe Kano Kroil would be a better penatrating oil?

Trent's idea is just about identical to what I would have suggested. Rob's solution is equally good. I think the key to applying heat will be to limit overheating as Rob suggested, and to allow several heating and cooling cycles so that the penetrating oil can work it's way in.

• Like 1

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

As far as running the truck to operating temp, thats out cause the pumps already off :( I have a slide hammer I made years ago that I'm going to try tomorrow, I should have used that before the puller as the puller always tends to break the injector. I'll try PB and maybe even some Kroil Oil...I have 4 to go, 2 came out easy...keeping the fingers crossed on this one. Thanks guys for all the input...many minds make light work! -Sean :MackLogo:

As far as running the truck to operating temp, thats out cause the pumps already off :( I have a slide hammer I made years ago that I'm going to try tomorrow, I should have used that before the puller as the puller always tends to break the injector. I'll try PB and maybe even some Kroil Oil...I have 4 to go, 2 came out easy...keeping the fingers crossed on this one. Thanks guys for all the input...many minds make light work! -Sean :MackLogo:

Be easy with the slide hammer as the fitting is at an angle and not straight up. I've seen several broken injectors from too much force being applied at an angle. One of my homade puller jigs goes around the injector body and pulls from the ears of the injector. There is no force applied to any threads this way but it takes about four minutes to get it all hooked up and aligned per injector. This started as part of an OTC two jaw puller.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob that sounds like the way to pull them, from the ears...I might have to ask if I can borrow a picture of your jig and try to duplicate it <_< the engine is not a rust bucket, it was well cared for but it did come from Boston and we know they use a lot of salt, so I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I soaked them with Liquid Wrench and I'm going to let it sit over night and hit it with some PB Blaster in the morning and again let it sit...maybe put a little heat on them tomorrow night and see what happens...be sure to tune in tomorrow for updates! :unsure::MackLogo:

**UPDATE** Throw the OTC puller in the garbage, forget the slide hammer. I ended up using a custom puller from Shels Supply and Equipment, they are a custom machine shop in CT and they produce one hell of a stout product. I got 4 pulled so far, lots and lots of pressure but they did end up coming out. I actually broke the the threaded rod on the puller and now I'm waiting for a new one to be overnighted to me, this puller is machined out of a block of steel and fits over the studs, it has 2 allen screws that you thread down onto the studs to work the puller up as the injector comes out very very unique tool. I'll post pics of the puller tomorrow -Thanks for all your help guys, Sean J. Kelly :MackLogo:

• Like 1

**UPDATE** Throw the OTC puller in the garbage, forget the slide hammer. I ended up using a custom puller from Shels Supply and Equipment, they are a custom machine shop in CT and they produce one hell of a stout product. I got 4 pulled so far, lots and lots of pressure but they did end up coming out. I actually broke the the threaded rod on the puller and now I'm waiting for a new one to be overnighted to me, this puller is machined out of a block of steel and fits over the studs, it has 2 allen screws that you thread down onto the studs to work the puller up as the injector comes out very very unique tool. I'll post pics of the puller tomorrow -Thanks for all your help guys, Sean J. Kelly :MackLogo:

Congrats Sean, glad it worked out for you! Dont you just love it when a plan comes together? randyp :thumb::dwave:

I have to admit, these were the WORST I have ever come across, I honestly thought I was going to have to pull the heads. Working in 15 degree weather after this one I think I'm going to treat myself to a nice southern vacation! 2 more to go, still have fingers crossed but with this puller I have the highest of hopes :banana: