Oil For Quad-box?

scott

With all this talk about boxes, I'm starting to wonder what I put in mine like 5 yrs ago. I know I put 2 gals of Lucas additive to help with the rattl'n noise, but not sure what actual fluid I used? Might have been 75w gear lube? Can't recall now. Guess it don't really matter since I've put 20K+ miles on it with no issues(don't even really leak-just grumbles bad when hot).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

With all this talk about boxes, I'm starting to wonder what I put in mine like 5 yrs ago. I know I put 2 gals of Lucas additive to help with the rattl'n noise, but not sure what actual fluid I used? Might have been 75w gear lube? Can't recall now. Guess it don't really matter since I've put 20K+ miles on it with no issues(don't even really leak-just grumbles bad when hot).

The counter shaft end play may need to bo set.Too end play will mame them noisey.

glenn akers

The counter shaft end play may need to bo set.Too end play will mame them noisey.

I will try this again the countershaft end play may be too much that will cause a noise

You have front and rear counter shaft and the end play gets too much with wear on bearing and can hurt the hard to find gears.

glenn akers

It shifts nice overall, no issues there, but when hot and idling in neutral it sounds like a bunch of rocks bang'n around in it.

They say with the wrong oil in it, it will not get proper lubrication. Well, I think it definitely hasn't hurt mine since it was so worn out to begin with!

Larry

It shifts nice overall, no issues there, but when hot and idling in neutral it sounds like a bunch of rocks bang'n around in it.

They say with the wrong oil in it, it will not get proper lubrication. Well, I think it definitely hasn't hurt mine since it was so worn out to begin with!

Just a thought:

If you think about it if there is play in the shaft it will be more pronounced during idle in neutral. When things get hot they expand and your poor adjustment will go out even more as it expands. Also when in gear the forces against the shaft wont allow it to rattle all over. It might move around but not rattle as the friction between the gears will hold the shaft steady. Thats why its mighty difficult to pull a gear out when your foots on the go pedal.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Definitely.

Sometimes I can leave one box in gear, which puts enough load on it to keep it somewhat quieter.

You can't pull one out of gear with any load on it for the most part, unless the gear teeth itself is worn bad enough to allow it. The torque holds it tight.

Larry