Need Detaied R Model Info

OK I need some basic Info for the R series. I am looking for a bit of history along with model number info.

So far i know the R started production in 1964/65

RD - What does the D mean

RM - What does the M mean and they appear to be rare

RL - Lightweight western R with Aluminum doors and grille- please add if i missed anything

RS - Im guessing the S means steel butterfly hood?

RW - Superliner but what does the W mean?

RB - Axle back (except in NZ where it was a CH looking superliner hood with an R cab.)

RU - U model (light weight DM)?

Any other prefixes I might have missed?

Ok now for the numbering. What did the first of the three numbers mean?

4xx

6xx

7xx - long hood

8xx -

Also I see that only 4 R863R's were produced. Were these 4 R's succeeded by the RD8xx series?

The second two are the engine code correct? If so can someone give me a detailed list of all the engine codes?

Now the only two suffix letters I know are R and L. R is a steel frame and L is an aluminum frame. Any more please let me know!

I will be asking more question as time goes by to get this project going.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

DM is for Dump/Mixer. Could be D for dump. These trucks were built for on/off road use.

RM's were built for maintence work. Most were sold to Highway departments. Most are 4x4 or 6x6. The setback front axle and clean exposed frame rails made it easier to install snow plows.

RS and RL, the difference is aluminum and steel frame.

RW? The W may have been Western. The first one's were built in Haywood,CA and ment to resemble west coast trucks (KW and Pete).

R and U models had similar frames but the U had the offset cab and short hood. The DM came later and with real heavy frames.

The numbers ( 4,6,7 and 8) are related to the frames and designed capacities. The RW6, MH6 and CL6 all use the same 1/4" frame and the RW7, MH7 and CL7 use the same 3/8" frame.

This should be a start for you. Others may be able to correct or add to this. Keep up the good work.

RS and RL, the difference is aluminum and steel frame.

Hmm I thought that RL was for light weight. The frame could be steel or aluminum but the cab/hood had lightweight components to shave weight off. I thought the suffix S or L (ex. RL700L) was the frame material. RS is still a mysterty to me.

R700's were long hood R but not western RS or RL. Can someone clear this one up for me? I know this was mentioned before but I want to double check before I make an entry.

Ok I also need to know more about the frame rail option numbers. so if 6xx is 1/4 and 7xx is 3/8 frame what did 4xx and 8xx mean? I have seen an RD888SX with 110K rears and an I beam frame. How did you know if you had a single or double frame? Did the X mean double frame or extra duty?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Hmm I thought that RL was for light weight. The frame could be steel or aluminum but the cab/hood had lightweight components to shave weight off. I thought the suffix S or L (ex. RL700L) was the frame material. RS is still a mysterty to me.

R700's were long hood R but not western RS or RL. Can someone clear this one up for me? I know this was mentioned before but I want to double check before I make an entry.

Hi Thad, I'm new to this R model designation and don't know much. My 1978 RL-755L tractor has an aluminum frame, crossmembers, front hubs, differential carriers, and flywheel housing. The hood is no thinner or lighter weight than a standard R model. It is a long extended hood, (almost 64 inches front to back). Trent has a RS-700 series and he could probably fill you in as to what is steel on his tractor.

Hope this helps with your quest.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ok I also need to know more about the frame rail option numbers. so if 6xx is 1/4 and 7xx is 3/8 frame what did 4xx and 8xx mean? I have seen an RD888SX with 110K rears and an I beam frame. How did you know if you had a single or double frame? Did the X mean double frame or extra duty?

I tend to sit back and let the pro's handle this stuff, but from what I've learned on here, the prefix denotes the type of frame, i.e. RL= aluminum frame and RS=steel frame. The L suffix is for the other lightweight stuff, such as aluminum doors, not sure what else. An RS700L would have a steel frame with other lightweight components.

It's a nice thing your doing with the Wikipedia site. I'm sure your work will be appreciated by many.

Jim

Jim

• 1 month later...