Hot And Cold On Exporting

I sure hate to see our history being exported outside the U.S. But the bright side is the trucks will continue to provide years of reliable service. So, keep them here not running due to weight laws and DOT headaches or send them overseas to live and run once again on the open road. Its a tough call, but in my opinion I'd rather see the truck running then being cut up for scrap. Any opinions on this one? I myself have sent a few over and regret it now... :unsure:

I sure hate to see our history being exported outside the U.S. But the bright side is the trucks will continue to provide years of reliable service. So, keep them here not running due to weight laws and DOT headaches or send them overseas to live and run once again on the open road. Its a tough call, but in my opinion I'd rather see the truck running then being cut up for scrap. Any opinions on this one? I myself have sent a few over and regret it now... :unsure:

I sold an old car and a truck overseas, and I had some regret about it at first. But in both cases, an overseas buyer was the only REASONABLE offer I got. It seems there are a lot of buyers in this country that want to give half $$$ what a vehicle is worth. It makes me proud to be an American to know that our vehicles and our lifestyle is in such demand all around the world.

Gregg

Hi, I live in Australia and we need to import alot of rarer trucks here as we had limited models available from new. For me I find it very interesting to see what else was available, always think that the person that paid the money is going to save the vehicle so it will be around for future generations, one day it may go back to USA shores as I know some rare 60's muscle cars have been exported back to the USA. When somebody imports a vehicle it costs alot in freight, import duties, taxs etc, they should be able to do justice to the vehicle and look after it nicely as the plan will be good generally. I feel it is a good thing :thumb:

Hi, I live in Australia and we need to import alot of rarer trucks here as we had limited models available from new. For me I find it very interesting to see what else was available, always think that the person that paid the money is going to save the vehicle so it will be around for future generations, one day it may go back to USA shores as I know some rare 60's muscle cars have been exported back to the USA. When somebody imports a vehicle it costs alot in freight, import duties, taxs etc, they should be able to do justice to the vehicle and look after it nicely as the plan will be good generally. I feel it is a good thing :thumb:

Agreed. I think the Aussie iron are some of the coolest trucks! You guys should ship some up here stateside!

Actually , the local body shop has a Euro spec Mercedes sedan out for sale I have had my eye on, so I guess it works both ways. We have enthusiasts all over the world, no reason we can't all share.

Gregg

I think its a good thing, I'd rather see them being used and we all know they do get used when shipped...I've seen pictures of trucks from Nigeria hauling 35 to 40 ton in a 10 wheel DM800! Now that my friends is what a Mack was built to do :thumb: 80K rears, triple chassis = 1 tough truck! I also agree I LOVE the "down under" Macks, they have a look that is second to none :thumb: I have a thing for steel nose RD's (flintstones) I've owned a few...you dont see them much in the states anymore

I would be happy to look out for a flintstone, they do come up fairly often for sale, they are starting to pull good money as the demand is growing fast. I wouldn't think it would be to hard to find one and get some photos to email. I haven't been involved in exporting but I have a good friend that has exported cars several times. He could help me organise that side if you are interested. I found it is easier to to find flintstones here then a B61 that was still running Cheers Gearbox

Growing up in NJ back in the day steel hoods were all the rage. All the dumps were DM800 tandems, mostly on 12.00-24 rubber. A real treat in my childhood of the '70's and 80's was to see the diehards still running B-81's. TOO COOL!!!

Gregg

A friend of mine still has an everyday B81 driver...out of the B Models the 81SX was my favorite. All the trucks I've owned inlcuding the DM600 I have now are all heavy spec, 58's 20 front...I've also had 65's and 80k rears...I know I'm nuts lol! But I love the big old tanks, no matter what you throw at em they just ask for more :rmod_dump:

post-7064-034223100 1291383879_thumb.jpg

I talked to one of the Mack instructors who had been down to Venezuela recently and got to see two AC chassis, one was running, the other in need of magneto repairs. Both trucks were in good condition, much better than I would have expected for the region.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"