Painting

what do you guys like using for paint on the trucks , was wondering and how xpensive is the stuff.

thanks gg2

There are many grades and prices for paint out there. I've used almost every brand on the market over the years and am currently using Sikkens. This is only due to support in my area. I used PPG for years, but when they wouldn't make a problem I had in the shop right, I had the vendor remove the PPG paint bank that day and Sikkens installed the next. I've also had Dupont too without any problems whatsoever except support. Seems that every ancillary item to use their products cost the shop. Although this was true also with PPG, the cost was greater.

I've been happy with Sikkens for nearly nine years now. Support and training is great with active vendor support without pestering. They also seem to have a long term employee retention rate. So far there has only been a single problem with a new undercoat. The problem was identified, and rectified without question by this vendor.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There are many grades and prices for paint out there. I've used almost every brand on the market over the years and am currently using Sikkens. This is only due to support in my area. I used PPG for years, but when they wouldn't make a problem I had in the shop right, I had the vendor remove the PPG paint bank that day and Sikkens installed the next. I've also had Dupont too without any problems whatsoever except support. Seems that every ancillary item to use their products cost the shop. Although this was true also with PPG, the cost was greater.

I've been happy with Sikkens for nearly nine years now. Support and training is great with active vendor support without pestering. They also seem to have a long term employee retention rate. So far there has only been a single problem with a new undercoat. The problem was identified, and rectified without question by this vendor.

Rob

thanks rob i have also read things were you guys talked about por15 paint , what is that and were can it be used and how xpencive is it. i am workin on a 1976 761 brockway and want some good paint so it lasts.

thanks again GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

thanks rob i have also read things were you guys talked about por15 paint , what is that and were can it be used and how xpencive is it. i am workin on a 1976 761 brockway and want some good paint so it lasts.

thanks again GG2

POR-15 is a durable paint direct to metal paint/primer. It has the acid to etch bare steel blended into it. The stuff is difficult to get off of skin as it soaks into the pores and sticks. It must however be topcoated with another paint as it will start to chalk. I've seen truck frames look 10 years old in six months with sitting outside in the sun full time. I use a product called "Chassis Saver" at about 1/2 the cost and as good of durability.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

POR-15 is a durable paint direct to metal paint/primer. It has the acid to etch bare steel blended into it. The stuff is difficult to get off of skin as it soaks into the pores and sticks. It must however be topcoated with another paint as it will start to chalk. I've seen truck frames look 10 years old in six months with sitting outside in the sun full time. I use a product called "Chassis Saver" at about 1/2 the cost and as good of durability.

Rob

sounds like por-15 has to be applied to bear metal with no underlying paint. does the chassis saver have to be the same way.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

sounds like por-15 has to be applied to bear metal with no underlying paint. does the chassis saver have to be the same way.

gg2

With good surface prep it will stick to anything. It is marketed primarily for bare steel.

Chassis Saver is a direct competitor and they are virtually the same.

Rob

GG2, I've using Chassis Saver on the steel end frames of my cement tankers for 3 years now with NO prob.I also used it inside of my 361 Brockway's doors and cab corners and floors,before under coating and as Rob has said it is half the price of POR

BULLHUSK

hey bull husk, was wondering if you were still around, havent seen any post lately from you here or on the brock site.

gg2 thanks guys for the info.

was wondering that too.

gg2

I get it through my paint vendor but the company will sell direct. I'll round up an address and post it tomorrow it I remember..........

Rob