Mack Engine Fuel Problem

dozerman1

Hello everyone,I have a 1986 RD886 that is used as an off road dump.It has been sitting for about 10 months and I went to crank her over and she starts but engine runs as if fuel pedal is stuck half way to the floor.If you press it any at all it revs even higher and will not throttle down.I have checked throttle linkage and it is free and working as it should,throttle shaft in pump seems to work free and no obstructions in return fuel lines.Could there be a problem inside the fuel pump?

• 2 weeks later...

If all the external throttle linkage is free, and the actuator arm is secure on the governor shaft, and the actuator arm is returning all the way against the idle adjustment screw then

the governor or the rack & plungers in the injection pump are partially stuck.

You're lucky it didn't rev out of control and self destruct!!!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

If all the external throttle linkage is free, and the actuator arm is secure on the governor shaft, and the actuator arm is returning all the way against the idle adjustment screw then

the governor or the rack & plungers in the injection pump are partially stuck.

You're lucky it didn't rev out of control and self destruct!!!

Amen

glenn akers

Sounds like you had moisture in the tanks and now may have algae build up in the pump. Take off the fuel filters and cut them open, if they are black then thats a sign of algae. Drain your tanks at the sump on the bottom and I'll bet theres water in your fuel. If so, let the truck sit overnight, drain the tanks in the morning until only fuel comes out (water sits at the bottom) get 2 new filters, fill the filters half way with standyne additive then top them off with fuel and let it run, be sure to add stanadyne to the tanks as well and it might just fix it self...if not its off to the pump shop. :MackLogo: