Stuck In Gear?

mjmccaffrey

Hey Folks,

My '48 Type 45 pumper seems to be stuck in gear and I can't get it rolling to it's next restoration stop. Trying to pull it with my tractor and can only get the drive shaft to the rear wheels to turn about an 1/8 to a 1/4. What gives? Shift is in N and emergency break is off...what am I missing or, better yet, how bad is this situation that I can't get the wheels to roll. It's had been outside for quite some time before I accquired it... could there be rust deposits on the wheels or breaks holding it up? HELP! :pat:

From looking at the picture of your rig on your post it appears the pump shift is located at the pump panel. Try placing the pump shift lever in the neutral position and see if that frees it up. If so the problem is in the transfer case or the transmission. If the lever is frozen look under the pump panel and you will see the linkage to the transfer case which you can (gently) try to move with a lever or other prying tool.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

If all else fails as long as the brakes are released disconnect the driveshaft or pull the axles if you need to move it. Sounds like it might be the shift forks, although the stick is in neutral it may still be in gear. I'm no expert in fire rigs but I've had my fair share of worn out shift towers jamming the tranny in gear and renedering the stick useless.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for ALL of the great advise. I lubricated the crap out of every moving part and really worked on the pump linkage. PB Buster is the nuts! Truck rolled like a champ. Now preparing to remove the water tank, hose bed and cab to get the truck down the the rails. Thinking of leaving the pump on the rails when it's blasted. Any thoughts out there as to how I should be thinking of going about cleaning and painting the chassis?

Thanks again - please stay at the ready for many more inquiries! :thumb:

Engine 2

I'd start a separate post about painting/cleaning the chassis. There is a poster on the general forums here named "Rob" who apparently has a lot of body and paint experience. You may try PMing him for advice as well.

One thing I do know about painting is that it will cost you a lot more than you expect if you use good quality paint. One member of our club spent $500.00 per gallon for the paint he used on his American LaFrance frame and he used 3 gallons on it!

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!