Battery Terminal Choice:

Hey there, getting ready to order new starting batteries for the the R612 truck and looking for input of post type preferences. I'm changing the cables also with 2/0 and wondering which type gives better service. I use top post on small gensets, and bolt on with the larger sets but all are encapsulated with a hot wax and never see much variance to operating conditions. Either way the terminal ends on the cables will be soldered to the cables, and sealed with shrink tube. The truck is going to have four 1100CCA Exide batteries as it will see outside duty in winter.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I like my top post stud style batteries in the Mack. With a touch of lube they have never corroded or had issue with taking them apart for any reason. Unlike a typical GM car battery you don't have to worry about stripping the hole out.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Rob Not that excide is not a good choice, but bulldog/pedagree(east-penn) batteries are the best choice! yea they cost more but the construction of the is far better than any other battery on the market. Go with screw in top bolts and when you solder your ends on, drill a small hole in the front of the lug and melt the solder through the front. its an old trick my dad taught me(but you're probibly just as old as him, so you might know this!) LOL bobo

Threaded 3/8" top stud with ring ends on the cables. This is the standard setup on modern trucks for a reason. They are virtually trouble free with a good tight connection. No soft lead to bend or crack.

This is where I was kind of inclined to go. All the newer diesel gensets use chassis mounted battery holders and are subject to engine vibration. I have never had problems with them, (nor have I with top post style) but I have an electrical crimper and die set that will set up to 500MCM cable so this is a viable option.

My wreckers all used top post and they needed attention seemingly constantly with triple battery setups. I'm not wanting that again.

I always hated those damned GM side post setups. Seen many batteries with the threads pulled from their mountings.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.