Putting An Automatic Transmission On A B42 Model

captbone

Hello

I am looking into the possibility of taking a 5 speed or a twin stick 10/15/20 speed transmission out of a Mack B42 (EN401/EN402 Engine) and installing an automatic transmission so my wife can drive it.

What size is the bellhousing on the EN401/EN402 engine?

What transmission should I use? It does not need to do above 50 mph and will only be used to tow the boat (7000lbs).

Please go into detail.

I am open to all thoughts and ideas.

I even though about pulling the EN401 and putting a 454 in place but am looking for the easiest route.

Thanks

Those engines were never noted for their power output, even with a manual trans. Put an auto behind one and I think it would be a real dog (no pun intended).

Since it's going to be a "toy" truck not pulling heavy loads, how about a 6BT Cummins from a Dodge pickup, with an automatic?

I'm no fan of automatic transmissions, but if you really must have an auto, maybe that would be the way to go.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Hello

I am looking into the possibility of taking a 5 speed or a twin stick 10/15/20 speed transmission out of a Mack B42 (EN401/EN402 Engine) and installing an automatic transmission so my wife can drive it.

What size is the bellhousing on the EN401/EN402 engine?

What transmission should I use? It does not need to do above 50 mph and will only be used to tow the boat (7000lbs).

how bout an International DT466 and allison automatic out of an old school bus,should be able to pick it up reasonable.

how bout an International DT466 and allison automatic out of an old school bus,should be able to pick it up reasonable.

A member on this forum did just that and there is a lengthy thread showing the restoration progress. I have to run in a second but someone here should be able to dig it up and post it.

Here is the link: http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?showtopic=6853&hl=dt466&st=0

Amazing restoration job.

Good luck.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!