Trq7220 Question

leversole

Let me say first I dont have the truck here yet or I could answer my own question...

The truck had been listed as a triplex. When I was running the engine I noticed the shift plate (and the chassis record) say quad...on the compound stick I could not find or select LO LO, which made me think they changed the transmission when they changed the engine (to a 1973 I think ENDT675).

However, it struck me this morning that maybe there is a physical lock to prevent shifting into LO-LO unless the main is in 1st? Whilst looking for LO-LO with the engine running, the main was in nuetral.

Just trying to figure out if it is 15 or 18....

Thanks

post-6773-033910000 1287845062_thumb.jpg

Let me say first I dont have the truck here yet or I could answer my own question...

The truck had been listed as a triplex. When I was running the engine I noticed the shift plate (and the chassis record) say quad...on the compound stick I could not find or select LO LO, which made me think they changed the transmission when they changed the engine (to a 1973 I think ENDT675).

However, it struck me this morning that maybe there is a physical lock to prevent shifting into LO-LO unless the main is in 1st? Whilst looking for LO-LO with the engine running, the main was in nuetral.

Just trying to figure out if it is 15 or 18....

Thanks

If you could not locate "Lo Lo" effortlessly, but can locate Lo Split, you have a triplex transmission. Could be the cab has been changed and the nameplate left in place.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks all....I found out it is a TRTL 72...now I just need to figure out what gears it has!

I assume the museum can tell me given the serial number...

I have a 1961 B-61T brochure that lists the ratios for a TRTL72, just wonder if they are the same as a later model...

72 series is a direct tranny, a 720 is an overdrive. terry

The TR72 main box is direct in hi gear, as opposed to the TR720 main box being overdrive in hi gear, but since leversole's transmission is a TRTL72, then it's a "single overdrive" triplex because hi split is overdrive in the back box. A "TRT(L) 720" would be a "double overdrive" triplex because the main box is overdrive in hi gear and the back box is also overdive in hi split.

• Like 1

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

The TR72 main box is direct in hi gear, as opposed to the TR720 main box being overdrive in hi gear, but since leversole's transmission is a TRTL72, then it's a "single overdrive" triplex because hi split is overdrive in the back box. A "TRT(L) 720" would be a "double overdrive" triplex because the main box is overdrive in hi gear and the back box is also overdive in hi split.

All good info! Thanks... This goes along with the ratios listed for the TRTL 72 in my only B-61 brochure which lists 5Direct as 1.00 and .85 ratio for 5 Hi Split.

Would the others be the same same ratios for all years of the same model transmission?

Thanks All

• 5 years later...