B Model Steering Column

In looking at many B model interior shots, I have noticed two different ways the steering column is mounted in the cab.

Some are like the top truck in the photo, and are close to the bottom of the dash, and exit the floorboard farther forward than the bottom photo.

Mine (bottom photo) exits the floor further back and has a L shaped spacer locating the column a couple of inches away from the bottom of the dash.

My questions are, why would they be different (both B-61, though mine is a B615) and more importantly,

Can I shorten my upper bracket and tilt the entire steering box forward to gain a little clearance?

Thanks

post-6773-015700900 1287335354_thumb.jpg

In looking at many B model interior shots, I have noticed two different ways the steering column is mounted in the cab.

Some are like the top truck in the photo, and are close to the bottom of the dash, and exit the floorboard farther forward than the bottom photo.

Mine (bottom photo) exits the floor further back and has a L shaped spacer locating the column a couple of inches away from the bottom of the dash.

My questions are, why would they be different (both B-61, though mine is a B615) and more importantly,

Can I shorten my upper bracket and tilt the entire steering box forward to gain a little clearance?

Thanks

didnt the B615 come with a V8 it might be for clearance for the V8 to fit.

Rob and I can definately understand the need for more room behind the wheel! :lol: Does one have power steering? I don't know the time frame that it became an option, but that could be the reason. If it has a 2 piece column vs the straight post like my A, that could be another reason. Look at the column on an R model. I bet that opening the hood and looking at the setup would reveal the answer. I like having the wheel as flat as possible for easier ability to apply the "armstrong" steering, some refer to this as bus style. I drove an old IH truck that the wheel was almost vertical and you couldn't pull on the darn thing and get leverage to turn.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Didnt ever have power steering...dont think it had a V8 either, but I will know more once I get my hands on her...I took some pictures under the cab, it doesnt look like it is raised 2"...

A B615 came from factory with a V8, that is what the "15" in B615 means. There were B81's with a V8 and they were designated B815. The old Mack V8's were grenades and might have been replaced with a 673 or other motor if it blew. There wernt many old V8's made and having one is very unique. Parts are extremely rare though.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I stand corrected! I guess not all had the little V8 emblem on the hood...

If it is a genuine B615, and I beleive that it is, it would have had a V8 badge from new. It may have been removed when it was replaced with the 6 cyl. engine. The way to tell if it is a B615 or not is the chassis #, also the B615 had a different firewall to other B models.