More Pictures Of The Week

other dog

The story continues...

Got the truck from Cat Tuesday afternoon and headed to the shop to get fuel and then go load kyanite for Orchard Park,N.Y. Made it all the way to Thomas Terrace before the engine light came on, or about 10 miles. So I went straight back to Carter Cat and they replaced the wire connectors on intake valve actuators 5 and 6. Now 4 days of trouble free trucking!

I reloaded at Roll Coaters in Weirton,W.V. Thursday morning. Could have got loaded Wednesday night, but I had to wait for one coil that was over across the street at the sand and gravel place and they didn't open until 7am. Turned out pretty good because I was tired from the late start going to Orchard Park anyway, and I took some pictures of lots of trucks and equipment at the sand and gravel yard.

This is a 992 Cat loader-makes a Peterbilt look tiny.

GMC dump truck

good looking old Autocar.While I was taking pictures of it a dump truck driver coming in stopped and yelled "that truck still runs good".

I noticed it has current tags on it.

The plate on the door said it had a 335 Cummins in it and rt915 trans. Might have a 335,but I don't know about that 15 speed!

The little coil I picked up-had to use 2 extra pieces of wood to keep it off the floor.You don't want your coil touching the floor,or bad things could happen!

...especially on a big single like this.

This was in the Clark loader beside the Cat loader-a V16 Detroit Diesel.

and the added bonus pictures-

This is what the north entrance of the old tunnel on the West Va. Turnpike looks like now. I used to have a picture of the south entrance,but must have deleted it. The south entrance is still open and the tunnel is used for storage.

A closer look.Kinda hard to see any more.

This is where an old weigh station used to be on rt. 60 between Ansted and rt. 19. It was still there since i've been driving, but I never saw it open. They only used portables there and it's been closed for years.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The story continues...

Got the truck from Cat Tuesday afternoon and headed to the shop to get fuel and then go load kyanite for Orchard Park,N.Y. Made it all the way to Thomas Terrace before the engine light came on, or about 10 miles. So I went straight back to Carter Cat and they replaced the wire connectors on intake valve actuators 5 and 6. Now 4 days of trouble free trucking!

I reloaded at Roll Coaters in Weirton,W.V. Thursday morning. Could have got loaded Wednesday night, but I had to wait for one coil that was over across the street at the sand and gravel place and they didn't open until 7am. Turned out pretty good because I was tired from the late start going to Orchard Park anyway, and I took some pictures of lots of trucks and equipment at the sand and gravel yard.

Good Pics!! I feel like I been on a lil vacation. You need to start posting pics of trips on a more regular basis, I always look forward to those, ya just need to do it more often. When I worked in strip mine, They rotated "CAT 992" duty on a 1 month basis, I always enjoyed my month on it, usualy would take someone elses month 2 or 3 times during year as most didnt like to run them. Strip mine owned 2 992 G,s with joystick steering stead of steering wheel, awsome, stout machines, but visibility to your rear was terrible so had to be very alert at all times. What do they store in old turnpike tunnel now? How long is it? Go drive some more and get more pics,,,,randy

This is a 992 Cat loader-makes a Peterbilt look tiny.

GMC dump truck

good looking old Autocar.While I was taking pictures of it a dump truck driver coming in stopped and yelled "that truck still runs good".

I noticed it has current tags on it.

The plate on the door said it had a 335 Cummins in it and rt915 trans. Might have a 335,but I don't know about that 15 speed!

The little coil I picked up-had to use 2 extra pieces of wood to keep it off the floor.You don't want your coil touching the floor,or bad things could happen!

...especially on a big single like this.

This was in the Clark loader beside the Cat loader-a V16 Detroit Diesel.

and the added bonus pictures-

This is what the north entrance of the old tunnel on the West Va. Turnpike looks like now. I used to have a picture of the south entrance,but must have deleted it. The south entrance is still open and the tunnel is used for storage.

A closer look.Kinda hard to see any more.

This is where an old weigh station used to be on rt. 60 between Ansted and rt. 19. It was still there since i've been driving, but I never saw it open. They only used portables there and it's been closed for years.

Boy, I screwed that post reply up, need a computer class from Tom,,,randy

Not sure what they keep in there. It's probably about half a mile long. It's 2 lanes through it,and i've been through it hundreds of times but it's been closed for years. Used to cross a real high bridge going in from the south, but they cut a new 4 lane highway across the mountain,closed the tunnel,and removed the bridge.

http://wikimapia.org/8269980/West-Virginia-Turnpike-Memorial-Tunnel

More tunnel info here.

And a picture I got from google earth street view,similar to the one I deleted.This shows the south entrance.I remember they worked on that cut for the new road,seen to the right,for a long time-years it seemed like. It's all solid rock as you can see.

More good stuff and pictures here-

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/WVa_Tpk_Photos.html

Not sure what they keep in there. It's probably about half a mile long. It's 2 lanes through it,and i've been through it hundreds of times but it's been closed for years. Used to cross a real high bridge going in from the south, but they cut a new 4 lane highway across the mountain,closed the tunnel,and removed the bridge.

http://wikimapia.org...Memorial-Tunnel

More tunnel info here.

And a picture I got from google earth street view,similar to the one I deleted.This shows the south entrance.I remember they worked on that cut for the new road,seen to the right,for years. It's all solid rock as you can see.

http://www.roadstoth...Tpk_Photos.html

The last photo showing the tunnel entrance about even with the level of the new hiway certainly looks different than when I seen it in mid 1988. They had not built up the road and it was a sheer cliff up to the tunnel entrance which was blocked off, but you could still see it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The last photo showing the tunnel entrance about even with the level of the new hiway certainly looks different than when I seen it in mid 1988. They had not built up the road and it was a sheer cliff up to the tunnel entrance which was blocked off, but you could still see it.

Rob

yessir, you pretty much came off the bridge and into the tunnel. I don't remember how high the bridge was, but it was a long-ass ways to the bottom!

forgot this added bonus picture. This is the old power plant at Glen Ferris, also closed for years, which they're now putting back into operation. Nice fishing spot here! Up ahead and to the right, out of sight between the mountains, is the town of Gauley Bridge. Rt. 60 is pretty flat from Charleston to here, but when you leave Gauley Bridge you start climbing up over Hawk's Nest.

forgot this added bonus picture. This is the old power plant at Glen Ferris, also closed for years, which they're now putting back into operation. Nice fishing spot here! Up ahead and to the right, out of sight between the mountains, is the town of Gauley Bridge. Rt. 60 is pretty flat from Charleston to here, but when you leave Gauley Bridge you start climbing up over Hawk's Nest.

I do remember the power plant. There were always people on the banks fishing now that you mention it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

http://wikimapia.org/8269980/West-Virginia-Turnpike-Memorial-Tunnel

More tunnel info here.

And a picture I got from google earth street view,similar to the one I deleted.This shows the south entrance.I remember they worked on that cut for the new road,seen to the right,for a long time-years it seemed like. It's all solid rock as you can see.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/WVa_Tpk_Photos.html

Were you driving on the wrong side of the road when you took this picture?

Were you driving on the wrong side of the road when you took this picture?

naw, you can turn the google earth street view pictures 360 degrees-you can look ahead,look behind,up at the sky,or down at the pavement.

It's pretty neat,almost like being there.The picture I took was from about the same place but a little closer. I was probably up around where you can see the truck coming down the hill, but I was indeed in the northbound lane when I took it.

There were some good pictures and some short video clips on that second link I posted. Had pictures of them blowing the old bridge up too. It was almost 300 feet down to the creek below it said.

And they moved more cubic yards of dirt and rock to build the turnpike-mostly rock-than they did building the Panama canal.Neat stuff,eh?

naw, you can turn the google earth street view pictures 360 degrees-you can look ahead,look behind,up at the sky,or down at the pavement.

It's pretty neat,almost like being there.The picture I took was from about the same place but a little closer. I was probably up around where you can see the truck coming down the hill, but I was indeed in the northbound lane when I took it.

There were some good pictures and some short video clips on that second link I posted. Had pictures of them blowing the old bridge up too. It was almost 300 feet down to the creek below it said.

And they moved more cubic yards of dirt and rock to build the turnpike-mostly rock-than they did building the Panama canal.Neat stuff,eh?

Last I went by there was a lot of concrete blocks that were at least a ton apeice stacked in front of the south entrance. No bridge neither and it was a loooooong way down there. So strange to see the same scene now 20+ years later.

I only went through that tunnel once from the north to the south. It was a real surprise to see how far up you were when exiting as it was totally unexpected. My wife absolutely hated rt. 60 as it made both her, and my daughter sick in her carseat due to the twisting on that road. When we left Norfolk, VA for the last time in a U-Haul truck, I was going the newly completed I-64 through that area and is when I'd seen the now closed tunnel. At the time I thought, "Jesus", that's a long way down there. I actually thought the north entrance would have been retained as it looked as if the south entrance being blocked up was permanent. Surprised to learn they built up a road to it.

Rob

Last I went by there was a lot of concrete blocks that were at least a ton apeice stacked in front of the south entrance. No bridge neither and it was a loooooong way down there. So strange to see the same scene now 20+ years later.

I only went through that tunnel once from the north to the south. It was a real surprise to see how far up you were when exiting as it was totally unexpected. My wife absolutely hated rt. 60 as it made both her, and my daughter sick in her carseat due to the twisting on that road. When we left Norfolk, VA for the last time in a U-Haul truck, I was going the newly completed I-64 through that area and is when I'd seen the now closed tunnel. At the time I thought, "Jesus", that's a long way down there. I actually thought the north entrance would have been retained as it looked as if the south entrance being blocked up was permanent. Surprised to learn they built up a road to it.

Rob

that is kind of odd,as the north end seems to be much more easily accessed. I'm gonna call 1-800-ax randy and find out the reason they did that.