Too Much Air Pressure:

Rob

This R612 is making lots of air pressure, to the tune of blowing the relief valve on the tank. I adjusted the governor with no luck, so I replaced it with a fresh reman unit. It will still make air with all settings until the relief valve on the tank opens. I disconnected the unloader line from the governor that runs to the compressor head and it unloads as it should, according to the adjustment screw setting. I'm thinking the unloader valves in the compressor head are not functioning. Has anyone seen this happen before? The air compressor seemed to work fine a couple of days ago.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

This R612 is making lots of air pressure, to the tune of blowing the relief valve on the tank. I adjusted the governor with no luck, so I replaced it with a fresh reman unit. It will still make air with all settings until the relief valve on the tank opens. I disconnected the unloader line from the governor that runs to the compressor head and it unloads as it should, according to the adjustment screw setting. I'm thinking the unloader valves in the compressor head are not functioning. Has anyone seen this happen before? The air compressor seemed to work fine a couple of days ago.

Rob

It seems like I had one a while back that had the siganl line to the governor pinched part of the way shut during a frame rail job that did something similar.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Rob to test it you need to air up the unloader port were the governor line connects and then put 100 or so air pressure to the unloader valves thru the port. It should be able to hold pressure if you can cut the supply off to the ports and see if the pressure holds up. The unloaders are only small pistons with o/ring seal and if they leak by the the unloader may not be unloading completly.I have a shader valve that i can screw in to the port and air it up and check the pressure in a few seconds with tire gauge.If it is a midland compressor you can remove the valves which are under the bolt on plate on top of head. If it is a bendix go thru the intake port to remove them.Easy to do and the field maintence kit will have them in it.It takes air to unload the compressor.

glenn akers

Rob to test it you need to air up the unloader port were the governor line connects and then put 100 or so air pressure to the unloader valves thru the port. It should be able to hold pressure if you can cut the supply off to the ports and see if the pressure holds up. The unloaders are only small pistons with o/ring seal and if they leak by the the unloader may not be unloading completly.I have a shader valve that i can screw in to the port and air it up and check the pressure in a few seconds with tire gauge.If it is a midland compressor you can remove the valves which are under the bolt on plate on top of head. If it is a bendix go thru the intake port to remove them.Easy to do and the field maintence kit will have them in it.It takes air to unload the compressor.

Hi Glenn, I have a few Schrader valves with 1/8th NPT threads and will do as you suggest. The line from the receiver to the governor is connected and routed properly without restrictions. The governor does pass air pressure to the unloader port when it's setting is reached. I suspect the unloader pistons are leaking by their respective "O" ring seals as suggested. I don't think this is a Bendix compressor as the unloader port is a bolt on type plate with three capscrews retaining it to the head. It uses a #4 Stratoflex hose connected to the unloader port.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Is it making too much pressure or do you have a bad relief valve?

The valve is relieving at 155psi by the gauge I've installed into the tank. I removed the drain cock installed the gauge into the port. I agree with Glenn as it takes air pressure to raise the pistons in the compressor head. If the rings are passing air the pistons cannot lift thus the compressor will not unload, or send air to atmosphere but rather to tank.

The dual needles of the air pressure gauge in the dash will peg against the "0" stop after wrapping completely around the face.

Rob