Cold Water Leak On 07 Cxn613

alcoon61

Whew new bug every week :pat: We developed a cold water leak this week in Chicago over night. Leaking a quart or two of antifreeze out overnight. Does not leak and dries up when engine is warm. Having trouble locating and pinpoint leak for sure. I am suspecting the thermostat O rings and I think I may have a thermostat not opening up correctly due to frequent fan cycling also. I have changed several automobile t-stats, but never the big truck. Is this a pain and fairly complicated or not that bad? I am guessing they are in the box on top of the engine being fed by the waterpump? Are both T-stats in the same housing? How expensive is a thermostat kit? Having an idea of what I am diving into sure helps vs going in and feeling my way through!

I appreciate the help and information I get on this website. Its is really nice.

Thanks,

AC

Whew new bug every week :pat: We developed a cold water leak this week in Chicago over night. Leaking a quart or two of antifreeze out overnight. Does not leak and dries up when engine is warm. Having trouble locating and pinpoint leak for sure. I am suspecting the thermostat O rings and I think I may have a thermostat not opening up correctly due to frequent fan cycling also. I have changed several automobile t-stats, but never the big truck. Is this a pain and fairly complicated or not that bad? I am guessing they are in the box on top of the engine being fed by the waterpump? Are both T-stats in the same housing? How expensive is a thermostat kit? Having an idea of what I am diving into sure helps vs going in and feeling my way through!

I appreciate the help and information I get on this website. Its is really nice.

Thanks,

AC

The newest thermostat kit should have an improved seal on the thermostats. Check the hoses and clamps too, as it seems that they tend to leak quite a bit and there are a lot of them that can potentially leak. Yes, both thermostats are in the housing on top of the water manifold, just beneath the mixer tube. What you need is a thermostat kit part number 215SB169A. This kit has two thermostats and two seals. The thermostats open at different temperatures, one at 180 deg. fahrenheit, and the other at 185 deg. fahrenheit. It does not matter which thermostat goes where. They are set to open at different temperatures to help prevent loss of coolant due to cooling system surge. The thermostats should be installed with the check ball facing forward (towards the radiator). While you have the coolant out of the engine change the screen in the oil cooler bypass ("Y") tube also (preferred) or at least take it out and clean it. Part number for the screen is 387GC32.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Any idea on how much these kits cost? (ballpark)

The kit was $54 at Houston Mack but the one I bought at Mack in Beaumont, Texas was $128 so shop it around if you can. I wish I had read the instructions before installing the first set because if you don't install them like rhasler has instructed they can cause coolant push out.

The kit was $54 at Houston Mack but the one I bought at Mack in Beaumont, Texas was $128 so shop it around if you can. I wish I had read the instructions before installing the first set because if you don't install them like rhasler has instructed they can cause coolant push out.

mite not be a bad idea to go to the allum. tank wile your at it

what tank are you refering to?

the one piece coolant tank,

it helps stop coolant push, i never pull mine below 1400 rpm,s wich also helped with coolant push.

jerryb is a very wise man when it comes to egr motors and coolant issues on cx models