673c Vs 237

HeyCharger

Hi Guys, After much deliberation and advice, I'm still in a bit of a quandary :blink:

Over here there is about an even number of used 673C's and 237's.

Which is a better option to replace my (very sick) 673P in my B and why?

Your wise words of wisdom will be appreciated. Thanks, Rod

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Hi Guys, After much deliberation and advice, I'm still in a bit of a quandary :blink:

Hi Rod. I had a "Maxidyne" series engine in my B model (ENDT-676 with tri-plex) and did not like it very well. Don't get me wrong, it ran and drove perfect but the engine never was in it's proper torque band. It would seem to me that if you are going to use the truck to pull moderate weight, that the 673 engine would be better even though parts are getting a little harder to get (new at least) here in the states. The 237 engine works very well with the wide gear spread of either a 5, or 6 speed to take advantage of the extreme torque ability the engine develops.

Just my opinion, hope it is helpful.

Did you get the air-o-matic steering installed?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The 237 engine works very well with the wide gear spread of either a 5, or 6 speed to take advantage of the extreme torque ability the engine develops.

Just my opinion, hope it is helpful.

Did you get the air-o-matic steering installed?

Rob

Hi Rob, Thanks for your input. The air-o-matic steering is still in a box sitting under the old girl now. When I take the engine out, I will do the steering, before transplanting the engine. Regards, Rod.

Proud owner of;

• 4 weeks later...

OK. Next question.

Can I replace my 673 and duplex as a complete unit with a C motor and quad-box as a complete unit. ie unbolt the whole unit and replace it with a whole unit. I believe that the gearboxes are different lengths, so I will have to get another drive-shaft. Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;

OK. Next question.

Can I replace my 673 and duplex as a complete unit with a C motor and quad-box as a complete unit. ie unbolt the whole unit and replace it with a whole unit. I believe that the gearboxes are different lengths, so I will have to get another drive-shaft. Thanks. Rod.

Hi Rod, you should be able to install the "C" engine along with a quadraplex trans without much difficulty. You will need to have your driveshaft shortened. I assume that the transmission you now have (Duplex) is the TR72 series, and not the TR67 series. I also assume you will be replacing the transmission with the same type: TR72 series vs. Tr67 series. The mounts for the transmissions are located in the physically same place, the quadraplex is longer in the rear section. Personally, I like the duples for a lot of "pleasure driving". The quadraplex takes a lot of shifting and I'm not saying that is bad, just more work, (or pleasure depending on how you look at it).

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The C engine will work better with a 10 speed trans because the maxidyne is got more torqe and hp at 1200 rpm and willwork great with a 5 or 6 speed but you put a 10 speed behind it and it pulls good up to about 1600 and the it seems like it take for ever to pull on up tp 2100.I have been their and it is a mater of some pump work to get to work better and the it is so much better to drive. If it is a german boush pump it only need to be recalibrated but if it is a american boush pump then you will have to replace some parts in the pump.

glenn akers

I assume that the transmission you now have (Duplex) is the TR72 series, and not the TR67 series. I also assume you will be replacing the transmission with the same type: TR72 series vs. Tr67 series. The mounts for the transmissions are located in the physically same place, the quadraplex is longer in the rear section. Personally, I like the duples for a lot of "pleasure driving". The quadraplex takes a lot of shifting and I'm not saying that is bad, just more work, (or pleasure depending on how you look at it).

Rob

Hi Rob, yes, right now it has a TRDX-720 box.

Are there different models of quad-boxes?

Rod.

Proud owner of;

Hi Rob, yes, right now it has a TRDX-720 box.

Are there different models of quad-boxes?

Rod.

Hi Rod, yes there is also a small quadraplex transmission that was offered behind the gas powered trucks. I don't know if the TR72 series was offered behind the smaller gas engines, ie: EN-401, En-464, EN-510 etc...

My wife and I are planning a long vacation next year in yours' and Andy's neck of the woods. Will plan to meet if you're for the idea. Don't have any dates yet but still in the planning stages.

Rob

My wife and I are planning a long vacation next year in yours' and Andy's neck of the woods. Will plan to meet if you're for the idea. Don't have any dates yet but still in the planning stages.

Rob

Great. Keep me informed. I live close to Sydney on the east coast whereas Andy is a sandgroper (lives in Western Australia) - sorry Andy :P

Rod :chili::chili::chili:

Proud owner of;

• 1 month later...

UPDATE - Latest

Ok, my 673C and quadbox arrived yesterday :chili::chili::chili:

To help with the change, I bought (off ebay) a 1959 Hyster forklift. 3 wheeler. What a ripper!

Can I take the old engine and gearbox out as one unit?

Where would be good lifting points?

I presume I can install the 673C and quad as one unit as well.

Advice and comments welcomed. Thanks.

Rod.

Proud owner of;

UPDATE - Latest

Ok, my 673C and quadbox arrived yesterday :chili::chili::chili:

To help with the change, I bought (off ebay) a 1959 Hyster forklift. 3 wheeler. What a ripper!

Can I take the old engine and gearbox out as one unit?

Where would be good lifting points?

I presume I can install the 673C and quad as one unit as well.

Advice and comments welcomed. Thanks.

Rod.

Hi Rod, great to hear the news of your recent "arrivals". I have never tried to pull the engines and transmissions together. The way Mack mounts their drivetrain is that the mounts for the transmission bolt to the case. It will just remain in place, while you remove the engine from the front of the truck. I then use a transmission jack to remove the gearbox after unbolting the circular flange of the driveshaft. A quadruplex transmission is quite long and I don't know if you could get a good, level balance point for an installation together. You will also need to have your driveline shortened as the new transmission is a bit longer.

Good luck with the project. The forklift will make it a lot easier!!

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Next question, what is the original colour/color of the "C"?

At the present time, my new repacement looks like it is an iridescent teal colour.

Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, Next week I'm taking 2 weeks off work to take on the transplant.

So far, I've taken the air-starter, generator water-pump (which I have to put on the replacement engine) radiator etc all off. (I'll probably need a new radiator core)

I'm going to overhaul my air-starter whilst it's off. Also whilst the engine is out I will be fitting the Air-O-Matic power steering and I will be lining, as much as I can, the engine bay, firewall and underfloor with Hoodliner. I figure anything must help.

I'm approaching this project in the same mind as when I brought the beast home.

"It's not a BIG job - it's just hundreds of small ones"

My acquisition of the old 3 wheeler Hyster will help a lot.

Regards, Rod.

Proud owner of;