Cf 685 Radiator Core

convoyduel

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a part number or good source for a replacement radiator core for a '77 CF685? The core in mine is getting pretty bad and I want to replace it. Looks like it will be a heck of a lot of fun getting it out.

I was able to get the radiator out a couple of weeks ago. Took it to a reputable shop in St. Louis and got it back with a brand new core, gaskets, grade 8 bolts and dressing the whole works. In all, it took about 3 hours to get out and 2 hours to get back in. I was dreading the project but it turned out to be rather simple overall. I'd always heard dreadful things about radiator replacement in a CF, but it was extremely simple. Hardest part was dealing with the aftermarket junk installed on the doghouse.

I was able to get the radiator out a couple of weeks ago. Took it to a reputable shop in St. Louis and got it back with a brand new core, gaskets, grade 8 bolts and dressing the whole works. In all, it took about 3 hours to get out and 2 hours to get back in. I was dreading the project but it turned out to be rather simple overall. I'd always heard dreadful things about radiator replacement in a CF, but it was extremely simple. Hardest part was dealing with the aftermarket junk installed on the doghouse.

Who did you use for the work? I've got to head to St. Louis Spring in the near future and would like to have both of my RL's radiators looked at for integrity. The Peoria market is out.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Who did you use for the work? I've got to head to St. Louis Spring in the near future and would like to have both of my RL's radiators looked at for integrity. The Peoria market is out.

Rob

It cost me $1308 with tax, a tad lower than the original estimate. I took off the fan shroud myself and there are no shutters on the radiator. They asked if I was in a hurry and I said no. It took 8 calendar days from drop-off to pick-up. They had zero reservation about doing a truck radiator. They acted like that's all they do.

The shop was Al's Radiator in south St. Louis County just off of Lindbergh (61/67) and Tesson Ferry Rd. (MO Rte 21). Very nice clean shop, very nice people. I had never had anything done there before, but they came highly recommended from the Museum of Transportation folks. It's also very close to me as an added bonus. Steve is the owner (don't know who Al is or was).

It cost me $1308 with tax, a tad lower than the original estimate. I took off the fan shroud myself and there are no shutters on the radiator. They asked if I was in a hurry and I said no. It took 8 calendar days from drop-off to pick-up. They had zero reservation about doing a truck radiator. They acted like that's all they do.

The shop was Al's Radiator in south St. Louis County just off of Lindbergh (61/67) and Tesson Ferry Rd. (MO Rte 21). Very nice clean shop, very nice people. I had never had anything done there before, but they came highly recommended from the Museum of Transportation folks. It's also very close to me as an added bonus. Steve is the owner (don't know who Al is or was).

I also have used them before and I thought they were great to deal with as well. I have found since then that Hager Radiator in Columbia, Mo is quite a bit cheaper for the same things and do just as good of work. Hagar's does a lot of work on radiators that are shipped in and then they ship them back out and it has still been cheaper even with the shipping.

I also have never found anyone named Hagar around there. Maybe radiator folks just kind of clog up and then dissolve away.

I've used Hagar's also for a CAC repair after a deer hit in Columbia. Nice people and the guy stayed late without extra charge to get me back on the road.

Threw the deer in the trunk of a wrecked car and brought him home frozen.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.