5.9 Cummins

Rob

Hey guys, my uncle has a 95 Freightliner FL50 that is pumping oil but runs perfect. It has a 160hp Cummins engine with a rotary type pump, (I think). Also has a six speed trans with an SAE #2 flywheel housing. What does one need to do to get more power out of this engine using the existing pump, or should it be replaced with an inline pump? I can get the truck inexpensively and could use the engine in something else.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hey guys, my uncle has a 95 Freightliner FL50 that is pumping oil but runs perfect. It has a 160hp Cummins engine with a rotary type pump, (I think). Also has a six speed trans with an SAE #2 flywheel housing. What does one need to do to get more power out of this engine using the existing pump, or should it be replaced with an inline pump? I can get the truck inexpensively and could use the engine in something else.

Thanks,

Rob

Ya, mite want to bore and stroke it. Also install a Dyno approved Mack camshaft. Make sure ya port and polish tha heads and make sure ya polish tha pump outside housing so it will boost the looks if not power.

mike :thumb:

It is a ROTARY, not an Inline pump? JUST MY SPECIALTY! lol VERY easy pump to get power from, not like an inline, but more power anyway.... first things first, got a pyro and boost gauge? DO NOT boost go over 40 a whole lot, otherwise your gonna be into it for a headgasket... What turbo is on it? im assuming an HX-40 if memory serves me correctly for a "big truck" 5.9L Cummins.

Second there is a major bang for the buck cheap part you can get from Ebay or any diesel shop, a Governor spring. Relativly easy to do, and WOW! There are options here, 3200 RPM, 3800 RPM (i have one) and 4000RPM. Yes you can spin it to 4K (with a $120 set of upgraded 60# valve springs) However that engine may already have them, got an exhaust brake?) I would say 3200 spring kit, the Bosch VE pump doesnt do much past 2800-3200 RPM.

There are a few FREE power enhancements, the full fuel screw, an AFC adjustment for more fuel on the bottom end, and bumping up the timing.

I also highly recomend a 0-30 PSI if not 50PSI fuel pressure gauge. I do not know what lift pump was put on the industrial 5.9 but if its the same as the Dodge, you gotta keep an eye on the lift pump, or just replace it all together with the one supplied on the inline (Bosch p-7100) injection pump Dodge trucks. Do you know what lift pump is on that truck? electric, the one with an arm to prime with or the one with the push buttom primer?

With good maintenance that little ol 5.9 will run 1,000,000 miles and not need an overhaul (yes i said one million) If you have ANY questions at all feel free to message me, I know a ton about the 5.9L Cummins! There are 2 articles you need to read before playing with the full fuel screw!! (and i wrote them oddly enough)

I also have links to the Governor spring install, full fuel screw adjustment, and i believe there is one on the AFC adjustment as well. Along with advancing the timing.

I didnt pay attention, but where are you located? (i'll look and see but chances are I know someone nearby who may be able to assist you if your not comfortable with any of it)